Thursday, November 05, 2009

Magog #3 - DC

First of all . . another fantastic cover by Glenn Fabry. DC's got some great cover artists right now. Especially with Greg Horn coming back to do some. Fan-frikkin-tastic! Anyways, this issue, to me . . it's a little confusing. But right now? I think that's the point. Magog has found this Miasma guy. That's him on the cover. He seems to be picking up some of this wonder-tech and is using it to build an army of followers under the streets. Although, from reading this issue, I think it was accidental . . at first. I'm not sure, Miasma is kind of rambling a bit when he's filling in Magog, but he says 'No more breathing! Airborne nanite dispersal keyed to low-grade neural override! Their words! That was promised! Not this! Not this!' I'm thinking somehow he became part of a failed experiment. Anyways, now he's trying to build his army until he has enough people to make the 'over-people' pay. But I don't think he's the main villain here. There's also someone, or something called Flashpoint. Magog and Axel are looking in to it, but they haven't figured it out . . yet. And then there's that skinny guy with the black hair and the soul-patch. He seems to be some kind of broker, or middle-man. He may not be the main threat, but he appears to be supplying whomever is. I think he plays a bigger role in all of this than he's lead on so far. Anyways, Magog goes down into Maisma's 'kingdom' and in the process learns a few things about himself. Maisma is controlling his actions . . somehow, but during this Magog learns that he doesn't have to breath. 'I reach past my panic reflex and what do you know? I seem to be breathing optional these days. I decide to postpone how I feel about that.' He then finds out that he's not so easy to kill either. After his 'resurrection' he contacts Axel and tells him to also look into Magog. 'I know that's me. I think it's past time I looked into a few things. I keep getting blindsided by my own abilities. Anything you can dig up. Myth, theology, earlier incarnations. The whole nine yards.' Anyways, the issue ends when someone has ordered that this 'experiment' be shut down. These Ironman type looking guys are taking out Miasma and his army, so Magog doesn't get involved. But, once they notice him . . they think there's a JSA presence. They're not sure what to do. Magog's instinct it to fight, but . . instead he surrenders hoping that they'll take him to their leader. Like I said, it's all a little confusing. There's a bunch of fantastic ideas presented here, but we're not shown yet how they all fit together. However, I'd expect nothing less of Keith Giffen's stories. He's jumped in feet first on this book, and given us a lot of information . . really fast. Hopefully next issue slows down a bit and we can sort some of it out. It's definitely interesting and intriguing. I'm also enjoying Howard Porter's pencils. So far . . I like it. I'm confused. But I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment