Thursday, November 05, 2009

Batman - the Widening Gyre #3 - DC

This one had me a little confused at first. I'm seeing this romantic story with Bruce and Silver St Cloud, and for some reason my mind went back to just before Final Crisis when Bruce was romantically involved with Jezebel Jet. I don't know how I made that connection, but . . I did. Anyways. This issue focus' on Bruce and Silver trying, once again, to make their relationship work. Silver's parents own a private island Southeast of Miami. Currently Bruce is spending his nights in his nocturnal activity, while spending his days jetting back and forth to this island with Silver. I'm not sure how he doesn't think that this will eventually catch up with him. I mean I'm sure he's sleeping one way, or both, but . . the human body isn't made to be pushed this way. Even Bruce's. Also Bruce has a new friend in his night-time activities . . Baphomet. That's the guy that's been running around town in the Goat-like mask. Bruce . . er, Batman finally catches up with his this issue and they have a nice little chat. Bruce can tell he's a rookie, because he's a little eager . . and cocky. But, he does show the proper amount of respect. Plus . . I just think he's a fan. It's hard to tell through the mask, but . . he seems a little awe-struck to finally be talking to Batman. This is also around the same time that Dick is starting to feel his oats. He's pretty active with the Titans right now, and . . he's starting to get tired of Bruce bossing him around all the time. I think this is right before he cut out on his own as Nightwing. Anyways, Bruce is going back and forth . . and back and forth . . but the issue ends with him taking a swim in the ocean and he comes across Arthur. Arthur can't help but give him grief. Anyways, this issue . . it seems like Bruce and Silver are going though their honeymoon phase. But I think next issue . . soon . . somethings going to have to give . . on one side or the other. And I'm sure we'll see how it affects both of his lives. Kevin Smith and Walter Flanagan are doing a terrific job with this series. After reading this one, Kevin really gives the reader the feeling . . or hope, that maybe Bruce/Batman can have it both ways. He deserves it. Right? But you just know that ain't gonna' happen. I think Kevin does a great job of expressing this hope, and eventual anguish. It's sad . . even though everybody is happy right now, because . . we know how it's gonna' end. And it won't be well! Also fantastic covers by Bill Sienkiewicz and Gene Ha. This is another hit for Kevin Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment