Wednesday, August 19, 2009

X-Factor #47 - Marvel

And now on to my favorite X-book. At least . . right now. You probably can't see it on the cover, but the tombstone that Jaime's looking at says James E Madrox and Layle M Madrox . . "Loving Husband and Wife . . Rest in Peace" Ever since they met, Layla's been telling him that one day they're going to be married. I know she 'knows stuff', but . . that seemed a bit out there. After the kiss they shared . . who knows? Anyways, there's 2 things about this issue that have me plexed. But I'll get to that a little later. Last issue Jaime and Layla met up with Doctor Doom. Or as Ruby calls him, 'Doctor Drool' . . because he's old and decrepit. Plus . . a bit delusional. However, he still has more knowledge about time-travel than they do, so . . he's needed. Anyways, while there they're attacked by Sentinels. They get sent back 80 years and end up right where Theresa, Monet and Darwin are. We find out that the reason Cortex is trying to kill Lenore is so that Hecat'e is never born. So . . in the past Theresa and Darwin are trying to keep Lenore alive, while they're fighting the Sentinels and being attacked by a Cortex controlled Monet. Oh yeah, Longshot joined up with them too. Guido, Rictor and Shatterstar are still at John's house . . Jaime's dupe that's the priest. Now that Shatterstar isn't controlled by Cortex anymore, I think they're heading back towards Detroit. In the future we find that this Doctor Falcone is the one that's behind these Sentinels, and probably the problems Scott's been having with the other mutants disappearing. But we haven't got that whole story yet. They've decided to keep Doom close to them, but Jaime is more than a little freaked about Fitzroy's involvement. He hasn't turned evil, yet . . but he knows he will. Anyways, Longshot ends up fighting Cortex and he gets in a lucky shot that disrupts his control over Monet. And she is pissed. Now here's where my questions come in. First of all, while fighting Longshot Cortex is also studying him. "This idiot is another extradimensional, like Shatterstar. So he's problematic. In fact . . he's remarkably like Shatterstar. In some ways identical. I'll be damned, he's . . . ." He's what? He's a twin? He's a clone? They're the same person? What? Finish your thought for god's sake. I know Longshot and Shatterstar have always been an enigma at best, but . . now that we're about to get some kind of answer . . . Aaarrrggghh! But . . I can live with that. I didn't know before, and . . I still don't. Now the second question. On the final page . . Monet is pissed and she's attacking Cortex. She knocks his hood and glasses off and we see . . . is that Jamie? Is Cortex another one of Jaime's dupes? I'm sorry, with Valentine DeLandro's art . . I'm having a hard time telling who this is supposed to be. This is the big reveal. The moment we've been waiting for. And . . I'm not sure if who I see is who I think I see. I think I'm right. But . . I just don't know. I know it'll all be explained next issue, but this was supposed to be one of those moments. Anyways, another fantastic issue by Peter David. I love this book . . these characters . . and what Peter's doing here. This is easily my favorite X-book. At least for now.

2 comments:

  1. Loving this book as well. I started picking it up around #39 or so. As far as "X" titles are concerned, I'm following this one and New Mutants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this book is in a good place right now. I like New Mutants also, but . . I think this one is better. But a year from now? Who knows? As I get more into the characters of the other book . . I may shift my allegiances. But those 2, in my opinion, are at the top of the X-pile right now.

    ReplyDelete