Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Daredevil #500 - Marvel

Really, I just picked up this book for the heck of it. Well . . that, and it's an anniversary issue, so . . I wanted to see what was going on. I used to be big Daredevil fan. I have some very early issues, and then I'm pretty solid from like issue #134 on up to #334. Of the original series. I left shortly after the DG Chichester / Scott McDaniel story-line. I can't remember why. I think it was kind of a financial decision. Plus to me, the best Daredevil issues were the ones with Elektra. I have picked up issues since then, but . . it was just here or there to see what was going on. Oh yeah, and I got most of the mini-series. Anyways, the Return of the King story-line I thought was interesting. I hadn't read any of the Lady Bullseye books, so I'm not to hip on her character. She seems like a cheap Elektra replacement to me. And this is the first I've seen of Matt's new sensei, Izo. Stick was the last one I saw. I enjoyed the story-line involving the Kingpin. I didn't really like it when he disappeared for a while. I thought the Kingpin did a lot to define Daredevil. So now I guess he's back in play as the new crime-boss of NYC. I've been reading the Elektra story-line, so . . . it'll be interesting to find out what her reaction is when she sees that Matt is going to be the new leader of the Hand . . a position she once held. He, and Izo, hope that his influence will be beneficial to the group, but . . it's hard to believe that an organization that been around for hundreds of years can be swayed by the voice of one man. This main story was by Michael Lark and Stefano Gaudiano. I really enjoyed the 3 Jacks story by Ann Nocenti and David Aja. It kind of combined the past and present of the character, and . . we got to see Matt and Bullseye in action. Always a classic pairing. And then the preview of the List, by Andy Diggle and Billy Tan . . if they're going to be the new creators on the book, I might just have to give it another shot. It looks like . . maybe . . Elektra is involved? I'm not sure. It was just a shadowy figure. But Norman Osborn and Bullseye definitely are. It basically picks up immediately following the King story-line, with Matt assuming his position as leader. It seems to me like it's going to be the type of story that Andy Diggle is perfect for. The issue wraps up with a reprint of Daredevil #191. It was ok, but not one of the best issues . . I'm talking about the reprint. Overall, I thought this issue was ok. I might've gotten more excited if I'd read some more of the King storyline, but . . I think I got the gist of it. I might pick up some of those Andy Diggle issues . . see how that goes. We'll see. In the meantime, it was nice to visit a character I hadn't seen in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment