Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blackest Night: Superman #1 - DC

I have to say . . it took me a little while to decide, and figure out how to put into words, how I felt about this particular issue. The story starts out with the power of the Black Rings bringing Kal-L of Earth-2 back to life. And of course then he makes a bee-line straight to Smallville. One thing that we do notice in this issue, I think, is that the Black Rings, besides adding more bodies to the ranks, also try to instill fear. It seems that it's the fear that gives their rings power. As it works it's way through Smallville, person by person, it seems that each incident . . each body . . each trauma of fear that it's citizens feel, the power levels increase exponentially. It even feeds off the fear of Clark and Connor when they find Kal-L desecrating the grave of their father Jonathan. But we don't see Jonathan. It appear that Kal-L has brought along his wife, Lois. When she confronts Ma at the house, I originally thought it was Clark's Lois. The issue ends when we find out that Kal-L and Lois haven't killed Ma, but have instead taken her hostage. "Here's your lovely Ma, boys. The lonely widow, sure . . but my wife and I will make it so Ma and Pa Kent are back in each other's arms." Also the menace of Blackest Night has also reached New Krypton. Where Kara and Alura, when visiting Zor-El's memorial, come upon his risen flesh. Overall, I liked the book. But, after seeing the decimation of Aquaman's family and loved ones, I really feared the worst here. It wasn't for lack of trying . . Kal-L was seriously trying to rip out Connor's heart. I thought James Robinson did a decent job with the story. But, to me . . the real star of the book was Eddy Barrows. His artwork and layouts for this issue were amazing. This guy has really come a long way in a short period of time. His art on this issue really looked fantastic. The flow and angles were terrific. He really brought these characters to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment