Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Blackest Night: Titans #1 - DC

Ok, this is another book that I couldn't wait to read. Actually, we start out this week really strong with 6 or 7 really good books. Also, it's going to be a busy week as I have 34 titles in all. I'm going to try my best to get this done by next Wednesday, but . . we'll see. What about that cover? Is that fantastic, or what? The only thing better would've been for Gar to have his hand on her butt. That would've been awesome! Anyways, with the Titans, there's just so many possibilities for the Reunion Tour. The issue starts out with Heroes Day in San Francisco, and all of the Titans have gathered to remember their fallen. Most have statues, but some don't . . like Terry and Robert, Donna's husband and son. Although that does raise a question . . in this incarnation she can remember her last? I don't know. That's all still a bit confusing to me. Anyways, various heroes come back to visit various team-mates but the majority of this story is spent on Hank Hall coming back to terrorize the new Hawk & Dove, Holly and Dawn. I thought it was interesting that when they showed Hank's resurrection, the Black Rings couldn't really get a handle on Don, the original Dove. They sensed that he was dead, but it was like it couldn't quite reach him or something. It's kind of the same when Hank is fighting them. He and Holly go at it head on, but when it comes to Dawn . . he can't touch her unless she lets him. As I said with Laira in GL #45, Dawn might be an important piece in this whole thing. We'll have to keep an eye on her. In the end, Hank does knock her out, when she's trying to protect Holly, but he's really here for Hawk. On the final page it looks like he rips her heart out. There's also other scenes. Like the cover, Gar thinks that Tara is back, but it turns out that it's really Lilith, and Tara, playing a trick on him. However, Vic and Kory are the ones that make the discovery. Also Donna sees her sons bassinet in her bedroom. I thought JT Krul did a pretty decent job with this story. Although, it was a bit predictable. Some writers are like boxers . . they telegraph their punches long before they actually make them. That's kind of how this story felt to me. The beginning pages were touching, and informative, but . . from them you could see what was going to happen. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the story. There were a few surprises in here . . the reaction by the Black energy to both the Doves . . and Lilith. And I thought Ed Benes did a fantastic job with the art. Overall I really enjoyed the book. I can't wait to see who else is coming back. Even if it is to try to kill them.

No comments:

Post a Comment