Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cable #17 - Marvel

I like this book . . I've always liked this character. But . . this issue, and I guess this story-line in general, leaves me with a whole bunch of questions rolling around in my head. At the end of the Messiah-War story-line, Cable went to jump into the future, and Hope pulls away from him at the last second. Basically, she ends up 2 years in advance of him. So he has to figure out where she went, and try to be there when she gets there. Of course Bishop is still on their tail also. Here's my first question, Cable can't use his time-device because he can't go backwards, right? Sorry . . that's not the question. Cable has to just go forward, day by day, until he gets to the time where Hope is at. So lets say she jumps forward to August 12th, 2557 . . just for shits and giggles. Cable is stuck on August 12th, 2555. So when he gets to 2557 . . wouldn't that be the same day that Hope arrives? How can she age 2 years? If she did . . she should always be 2 years ahead of him. Right? Seriously! Am I thinking about this right? In order for her to age, he would've had to have jumped ahead of her. Correct? Ok. Maybe I'm thinking about that problem backwards. But even taking that into account, the time it would've taken them to travel to the cities . . the time it would've taken them to search . . not to mention the time that Cable wasted lying in the desert succumbing to the techno-virus ravaging his body . . it wouldn't have been exactly 2 years apart. Maybe with some good luck, 2 years and a couple of months. But I'm guessing it would've taken at least a year for them to come together . . 3 years total. I know. It's a comic book. It's just a story. But my mind has to get wrapped around these things. That's why time-travel stories give me a headache. Anyways, my second question . . what really was the whole point of the Messiah-war story-line? I mean, Cable and Hope are still running from Bishop. They just basically had a little burp in their continuing story-line. Was it all just to take out Stryfe and put Apocalypse back in power? And if so . . where's Apocalypse now? Heh-heh! That's funny. Or . . was it all just to bring Domino back into the X-fold? I'm not even mentioning that we still don't even know what Hope's powers are. And, now that they've reached the end of the Earth . . literally, where does Cable and Hope go from here? Well . . with the last question, it appears . . outer-space! Don't get me wrong, I like Duane Swierczynski's story. And I'm thrilled to get a chance to see more of Paul Gulacy's artwork. I'm just trying to figure out where this book is going, and what my investment is in it. Cable's always taken his own path, but . . you've got to admit that this path is a little out there. I hope we get some resolution soon. Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment