Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Dark Avengers #8 - Marvel

I liked this book, but . . to me . . it seemed like more of an X-Men book than the Dark Avengers. The riots are pretty much over, and when Emma and her team go to the hospital to take down Trask. It's so much a 'non-issue' that all we see is them carting off his bio-sentinel self to jail . . no fight to be heard of. I would assume that the threat to the X-Men . . as far as from Trask, is pretty much over. I don't think he'll find the support he needs anymore, now that he's been transformed. I would think that was a mistake, as far as Bastion goes. But who knows. Obviously Trask was just a pawn. Maybe it was a calculated sacrifice. Anyways, most of this issue is seen as Scott's plan taking shape. We find out that Moonstar's trip to Vegas was because she was cutting a deal with Hela. I would think it's probably to get her powers . . or some form of power. Hela agrees to a 'boon', but we don't know the details yet. One of the Cuckoo's have been arrested. Since she's a mutant, she's been taken to Alcatraz. Then, as Trask goes down and Emma and her group begin cleaning up the city, Scott sits back and waits. What he's really waiting on is for the X-Science Team to finish thier task under the Bay. Around the end of the week they finish their assignment, and Scott's team goes into motion. First, with the Cuckoo's help, they release all of the mutant captives from Alcatraz. I assume they got Henry, who was being tortured at the time, but I'm not sure. They don't really show that. There's a big fight between Logan's team and the Dark Beast and Weapon Omega. That's when Emma and her team show up. It turns out they're all still loyal to Scott . . except for Daken and Mimic who are quickly taken out of the picture. Even Namor is going along with Emma. Then the X-Science Teams man-made island, or sanctuary, rises from out of the Bay and all the mutants are transported to it. Scott makes an announcement on TV. It sounds like he wants this island to be a sovereign nation. Maybe? But whatever it is he wants, he's goading Norman and the Dark Avengers into action. "Whatever happens next . . is beyond our control. But all the same . . the whole world is watching." It really isn't until almost the final page that we even get to see the Dark Avengers. Norman's pissed . . to say the least. "Emma Frost! Namor! And Scott @%!@# Summers! Bring me Namor's head . . and Emma Frost's heart. And make sure Summers see you do it!" I mean, overall I thought it was a good book. Lots of action. The story-line moved ahead tremendously. Everything concludes in their second special . . Dark Avengers / Uncanny X-Men: Exodus. But, as I said, this is the Dark Avengers book. I really expected to see them more than probably about 6 panels the whole issue. And Daken doesn't count because he was working as a Dark X-Men the whole issue. Anyways, that being said . . I still liked the book. I enjoyed Matt Fraction's story, and I thought Luke Ross did a tremendous job with the art. I'm not a huge fan of Luke's, but I liked this new painted style that he's been doing. Hopefully next issue we'll get back to the miscreants and psychos that we're used to seeing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment