Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Flash Rebirth #4 - DC

I couldn't wait to read this book. It felt like it's been forever since the last issue. 2 months, really . . but still . . the issue ended with us finding out that Thawne, the Reverse Flash was back. Overall, not a startling discovery, but . . still exciting. This time I have to say I much preferred the premium cover to the original. Both are done by Ethan Van Sciver, but the one just looks more menacing. Anyways, we learn lots of new stuff this issue . . Flash Facts. Foremost is that Barry isn't just connected to the Speed Force . . he created it. It began with his accident and then became fueled by his actions . . his speed. He is the engine behind the Speed Force. Having learned this in the future, Thawne set out to create his own Speed Force . . a reverse force, negative. While Barry's is yellow, Thawne's is red . . kind of ironic, since their uniforms are the opposite. Now Thawne is trying to use his to take over Barry's. We also see Jay, Wally and Bart this issue. Max Mercury is back . . Barry rescues him from the Speed Force. And I thought it was interesting that when Thawne goes to Linda, Jai and Iris . . he sees the kid's connection to the Speed Force . . "I can feel their tie to the Speed Force tangled in a knot. Their bodies haven't managed to mainline it yet. I'll untangle the knots. And then strangle you with the rope." If he can fix it, maybe Barry can fix it. But I'm sure that's a story for some other time. Anyways, Jay and Bart save them from Thawne, but then Bart has to save Jay when Thawne takes away his aura that protects him from the friction. In return, Max and Barry show up just as Thawne is about to eliminate Bart. Also something is happening with Jesse, but we don't know what it is yet. She distraught when she sees her father, Johnny Quick, disappear . . reduced to atoms. But then at the end of the issue, it seems as if her connection to the Speed Force is reestablished. It looks like it's given her some information . . some insight. I think she sees now how all of these heroes . . and herself, are connected. The issue ends with Barry blazing onto the scene in a huge display of Speed Force lightning. "I'm back Thawne. But this time it's on my terms." Geoff Johns is doing a fantastic job with this story. Between he and Ethan's talents . . I really don't mind waiting a little longer for such a fantastic piece of work. This is the perfect story for Jay's reemergence into the DC Universe. I really hope that Max is still around after this story. I'm only concerned because I afraid he may be cannon fodder for Thawne's actions. Somebody has to perish . . Johnny's already been taken, but I don't think it'll be anybody connected to Barry, Wally or Jay. I think their families will may it through. That's not to say they'll be unscathed, but . . I think they will be intact. Oh yeah . . we also have to find out who it was that brought Thawne back. "I have a resurrection of my own in the days ahead, Barry. Thanks to a good friend of yours." Hmmm! Anyways, it was a fantastic book. A true classic in the making. Gimme more! Gimme more!

No comments:

Post a Comment