Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Batman - the Widening Gyre #1 - DC

Unfortunately, DC's mini-series have also gone up to $3.99 per issue. But . . in this instance at least, we get 40 pages of art. Actually, 45 counting the Superman preview. So . . I guess it's not all bad. Plus, we get this beautiful Bill Sienkiewicz cover. I'm thrilled to see he's doing regular work again. He's been popping up all over the DC for the last year or 2. Anyways, this is another Batman mini-series by Kevin Smith. You know . . Bob, of Jay & Silent Bob? Anyways, he's proven himself to be a fantastic writer, and this is the beginning of another 6 issue adventure of his. There's a focus this issue on the relationship between Bruce and Dick. I'm not sure what the importance of that is to this story, but . . this is just the set-up issue, so I'm sure we'll find out. Our story is set in Arkham. Batman thinks that Pamela has taken the place hostage, but upon entering, and working his way to her, he finds out that she's actually trying to build a defense. A defense against the Demon. This all starts with a college student that Dick finds dead. He's got branches and limbs protruding from every orifice on his body. Obviously Ivy's work. It turns out that he was the bag-man for Ivy, taking a tonic she created to Jason regularly to keep his demon self sedated. Obviously, it didn't work as advertised. Anyways, in trying to save Ivy Batman gets pummelled mercilessly by the Demon. He believes he's on death's door. That is until someone new shows up. Some guy, dressed in an Anubis kind of mask and cape, has dumped 2 gallons of holy-water on the Demon from the roof. "I'd have been here sooner, but it was hell finding a stew pot in the rectory kitchen. Pun intended. You're good down there now thought . . right? 'Course you are. You're the original bad-ass." We see Bruce's badly beaten face and he thinks . . "Hmm. New guy. The player to be named later." Overall I thought it was a fantastic first issue. I'm not a huge fan of Walter Flanagan's art, but . . I thought his style fit this story very well. Plus . . when Ivy's hanging in the courtyard . . she looks . . HOT! "Y'know what I've always liked about you, Batman? I mean aside from your rock-hard abs, and what I'm sure is a tireless tongue? You never call me by my slave name. Mmmmm . . you know what gynoecium is, Batman? Well my gynoecium's on fire for you right now. How 'bout it, Bats? Wanna commune with nature?" That's the other thing I like about Kevin's work . . his sense of humor. I thought this was a great start to this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment