Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wolverine First Class #18 - Marvel

Ok . . I'll really try to not make this post as long as the last. But I really did enjoy that issue of Wolverine. It was fantastic. However, after reading it . . I really thought that this issue would then be a let-down. I mean, this title seems to be aimed at a more teenaged audience, and one less familiar with the character, so . . it's nowhere near as intense as that last issue I read. But . . I have to say, Peter David did a fantastic job with this story. This issue actually focus' mostly on Jamie Maddrox and his Multiple-Man character. With Logan and Kitty helping him out along the way. This seems to be one of the first instances of Jamie noticing that his 'dupes' can develop thier own personality, and in this case . . maybe even wanting to break away from the herd. Literally. Basically, Jamie shows up at the mansion chasing on of his dupes from Muir Island. Since they're connected, he has a sense of him and his where-abouts at all times. However in his explanation to Logan and Kitty, he seems more like a tyrannt than a man whose powers can sometimes be unpredictable. Kitty ends up siding with the 'dupe', and helps him escape to NYC. Long story short, the 'dupe' comes across a person in need and puts his life on the line to help save a family member. As he's dying, he then willingly gives himself back to Jamie. However, in the end, this really changes Jamie's view of his take on life and the rest of the world out there. So he makes a couple more 'dupes', and tells them to go out into the world and explore . . . then come back and show him what they've learned. One asks, "What if one of us doesn't want to reaturn? What if I want to change my name to . . I don't know . . John Maddrox, and live my own life?" Jamie's response is, "I guess I'll deal with that, if and when the time comes." I think I liked this story so much because I'm really diggin' the X-Factor book right now. Jamie's one of it's principle characters. Alot of what happened here plays into that title. Plus, this book has improved dramatically since Peter David took over with issue #13. And, in the end, I think it was just a really well written story. I enjoyed it a lot. Francis Portela does the art.

No comments:

Post a Comment