Wednesday, August 26, 2009

X-Men Forever #6 - Marvel

I really hate to say it, but . . I really didn't like this issue as well as the beginning of this series. This issue just seemed kind of 'forced'. I think everybody is on edge, after the Professor's revelation last issue . . and they're not sure what to make of it. Maybe that's what seemed off. Basically, they all learned that their 'gifts' come with a price. Whenever they use their power, their kind of using up thier own life-force . . the energy that keeps them alive. When they're young, their bodies can recuperate from that . . for the most part. But, as they get older, there begins to become a limit on that energy. The more they use their powers, the closer they come to using that energy up. And when that happens? Well . . you know what happens when that happens. Charles came to this discovery when he noted that there weren't very many mutants that were more than 20 to 30 years old. But the one question I think is glaringly obvious is . . what about Charles? Or what about Sabretooth or even Magneto? I like this new direction these stories seem to be going in, but I think we need to be a little more specific about this discovery. Anyways, so this issue . . this issue they're all recovering from this knowledge and the attack by Storm. A lot has happened in this first few issues . . Wolverine has been killed, Jean's love for him has been exposed, Storm has gone rogue, Nick Fury and SHIELD have become an active part of the X-Men, and these kids that are willing to put their lives on the line to protect each other or anybody else that needs it have found out that they're living on a time-line. A time-line with an expiration date. So then this issue comes along, and . . it slows everything way down. It's not really a recap issue, but . . it kind of focus' more on the characters and how they're adapting to all this recent turmoil and change. And of course by the end of the issue, another emergency pops up and it looks like our kids are going to be heading off to South America. I appreciate Chris Claremont's talents, but . . this issue was kind of boring for me. Really, the only big 'revelation' for me was that there's more of Wolverine inside of Kitty than just his claw. Sabretooth now even considers her 'one of the family'. Paul Smith and Terry Austin do the art, and . . I hate to say it, but I wasn't overly impressed with it either. When Paul did his run on Uncanny in the 80's, I thought it was brilliant. It was crisp, clean, and very well defined. His style now, is nothing like that. I could see glimpses of it. But then there were other panels where a character seems almost cartoonish, or goofy looking. I don't know, maybe he'll improve as time goes along. Overall, I just wasn't that thrilled with this whole issue. Although I'm sure next issue will be better. We have a lot more to see here. I think it'll be interesting to see what other revelations Chris has for us along this new path.

No comments:

Post a Comment