Wednesday, August 12, 2009

R.E.B.E.L.S. #7 - DC

Well, Vril Dox had a plan to try to force Starro out of this star system, but . . it doesn't seem like it's working out all that well for him. Basically, he expanded his force field and created a box around the whole sector. Which leaves Starro with 2 choices. Either he continues to conquer the sector, and then comes after Vril and company, or . . he comes after Vril first and makes him shut down the force-field. While he's waiting for Starro to make his move, Vril contacts anyone and everyone he can to ask for help. No one will come to his aid. So, he thinks from Starro's point of view that his next logical choice is to go to Gil'dishpan. It's an aquatic world, but in it's army are warp-weavers . . beings whom can open and manipulate warp-gates. If Starro conquered these beings there would be no stopping him from taking over the rest of the galaxy. These beings are hilarious, though unintentional. It's just the way they talk. "Irrelevant is your gratitude. Stating your business you must be." Every time they talk, I hear Yoda's voice in my head. Anyways, there's also one of the Dominator Commanders here . . possibly the only existing one, who's also trying to strike a deal with the Gil'dishpan. But it's all moot when Starro's forces find the planet and begin thier conquest. Vril and company put up a valiant fight, but they're just plain overpowered. They quickly give up and just try to get off planet. On their way out, the Dominator Commander hitches his wagon to theirs, and on the way out drops his FLT drive straight into thier ocean, with the reactor set to overload. The planets waters are mostly methane, so basically . . he set their world on fire. "The Dominator made a tough but sensible call. He sacrificed millions to save billions. Frankly Strata, it's the sort of thing I would do." It looks like Vril has just enlisted a Dominator into his ranks. I think Tony Bedard is doing a great job with this book. I really like his stories, and his attention to details. Also Andy Clarke is doing a fantastic job with the visuals. I've said it before, in lieu of a proper Legion book . . this one more than fills the spot.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I bought #1-6 of Rebels and just wasn't feeling the love, but I think I'm going to extend my stay at least through #12. I want to like this book, but am having a hard time taking interest in the characters, or catching the current of what direction they're heading. But I really like Adam Strange, Captain Comet and the Omega Men, so I suspect that some upcoming issues may engage me more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The original LEGION series came out in '89. That's where most of these characters came from. It ran through '94, and then switched names to REBELS for 17 issues. The Omega Men showed up in LEGION a lot, but were a mainstay in REBELS. To me, the star of the book is easily Vril Dox. He's the guy you love to hate.

    ReplyDelete