Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Batman #689 - DC

I can imagine what the criticisms are going to be about this book . . it's too light hearted . . it to upbeat, or 'bright' . . it's not really the Batman, but . . overall, I really liked it. I like that Judd Winick is trying to make Dick his own Batman. Yes he contemplates the way the Bruce would go about attacking a situation, but then he also realizes . . "He and I are different in a lot of ways. I was born into the circus. A trapeze artist. I know that some time people need a show . . and, I'm a born entertainer. Bruce, I gotta tell ya, this job could've been fun for you sometimes if you ever let it." He's also smart enough to realize that all the information he's been getting about the gangs isn't coming without a price. "There's a lot of rats out there willing to talk lately. I think that most of this is coming out of one organized crime group. I just don't know who heads it up." Right now his plate is pretty full. He's trying to round up the rest of the escapee's from Arkham, relocating them to Blackgate. He's been working this gang angle. And he's trying to set up shop, getting acclimated to working in the city . . out of Wayne Towers. Not to mention that he's still got Thomas Elliot running around on the loose out there looking like Bruce Wayne. But so far . . Dick seems to be taking it all pretty much in stride. Or course it always helps that he's got someone as strong as Alfred to back him up. However, at the end of the issue, he walks right into a trap set-up by Clayface and the Soldier. Ultimately Two-face is behind it, but . . Dick doesn't know that yet. I'm also enjoying Mark Bagley's take on this book so far. Yes it's upbeat, and 'brighter' than this book has been in quite a while, but . . as I said . . it's Dick, not Bruce. They are two vastly different characters, and if this book was done in the same style that it always has, it would be a complete discredit to Dick's character. By the way, I love the Andy Kubert cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment