Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Adventure Comics #1 / #504 - DC

As much as I was looking forward to the Darkest Night books this week, I was equally as excited to get my hands on this edition. And not just for the return of Connor . . although I think that's fantastic. But rather I'm a huge Adventure Comics fan. I have a whole long box filled with just these books. No I don't have all the Legion books, but at one time I was trying. I do however have all of the digests that came out from #491 to #503. It was a great experiment, and I couldn't believe it when this book was cancelled back in 1983. 26 years ago. Wow! I can't believe it's been that long. I just looked, but in the final issue Paul Levitz gave us no hope for an eventual return of the title. We did however get to see some great covers from the early years. A quick note . . the final issue was a 100 page digest that cost $1.25. Anyways, on to the present. Like the original Adventure Comics, this one contained a couple of stories. First, and foremost, Connor is back and he's decided to live in Smallville with Ma. I always enjoyed the Superboy book, but I gotta say . . Geoff Johns wrote one of the best Superboy stories I think I've ever read. It covered a lot of ground, but still gave us insight into his character and emotions. It was great to see him back in action again. I'd tell you more about the specifics of the story, but I think this is one that everyone should pick up and read for themselves. It's a fantastic book. Francis Manapul also does a great job with the art. We then get a quick history of the Legion. And finally, in a 'sort-of' Legion story, Starman still has a mission to complete. He's seeking out the other Legion members that are hidden in this time, and the first one he comes across is Tellus. Starman's story was illustrated by Clayton Henry. We also get a brief look at some upcoming Legion storylines. One in particular includes the induction of a new Legion member . . a Green Lantern. I just can't say enough about this book. I'm thrilled that it's back on the shelves, and even more happy that Geoff Johns is writing the stories. Fan-frikkin-tastic! Like I said, everyone needs to get out there and get this one. You won't be disappointed. It's the beginning of a new era. Get on board while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment