Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Wolverine #81 - Marvel

This issue is a cautionary tale. It says so right at the end. Basically, we get a bit of a look at the relationship between Daken and Moonstone . . aka, Ms Marvel. She's intrigued by him, but not necessarily in a sexual way. It seems that she's slept with probably most of the other team-mates, but . . I really don't think that she's doing it for the sex. I mean, she's not a slut, and I doubt that she's a nympho. I think, for her . . sex is a way to see someone for who they really are. Like . . in that moment they drop their guard, or show their real face, and from there she can figure out the rest. And that's where the problem lies with Daken. She can't figure him out. They talk . . they interact, but she has the feeling that everything he tells her is either a lie, or he's just telling her what she wants to hear. Not only can't she figure him out, but . . strewn amidst all to the witty dialogue between them she assumes are some truths, or maybe half-truths. But since she doesn't have a frame of reference, or a starting point . . she can't figure out which is real and which is myth. Anyways, this issue she follows him to a shop where he says he likes to go for the tea. He tells her an interesting story from his childhood, but . . then he tells her what really happened . . every gruesome detail. At first she thought the story was cute. And then she was horrified. But the real thing that bothers her is . . she doesn't know which part of the story is real . . or even if either side is. 'He told me once that we all wear masks. That no one shows their real face. Masks hide reality. But I already knew that. I thought I knew that. I made a mistake. I forgot what happens when you look too deep. So look for daggers. Search for truth. But only if you can handle what you find.' I thought it was an interesting issue. Daniel Way and Marjorie Liu provide the story and words. Giuseppe Camuncoli does the pencils. My only problem with this issue is that it seemed more like an issue of Dark Avengers. But . . I tend to want to categorize things. In the end it doesn't really matter. That's just how my brain works.

No comments:

Post a Comment