Sunday, December 13, 2009

DC Universe Holiday Special '09 #1 - DC

With this book we have another gift to the comic reader from DC Comics. Well . . a gift . . if you're willing to pay $6 for it. I guess the gift comes from the line-up of talent that they've inserted into the book. I'm not going to get into incredible detail with all the stories, but . . I will list all the creators. There's a long list of seasoned, and new talent contributing here. We start out with this Dustin Nguyen cover. Our first story is a 'silent' Batman story by Jay Faerber and Peter Nguyen. It was kind of an ironic story. Next comes Superman by Arie Kaplan and Nick Runge. Nick's work looked good, and I thought the story was kind of touching. Next up is a Flash story, Wally West, by Amy Wolfram and Daniel Leister. It was good . . and funny. Next up is a neat story about the Doom Patrol. It's about the time right before Rita and Steve decide to adopt Logan. They see the terrible living conditions he's in and decide to really bring him 'into the family'. It was a touching story by Sterling Gates and JonBoy Meyers. I loved JonBoy's art. It would be nice to see him do another Doom Patrol story. Next up is a kind of weird Superboy story by Ralph Soll and Rodney Buchemi. Any relation to Steve? It was about Match and a party that he threw for . . well . . every-body's rogues. I'm not sure what the point was, but . . Next up is a Martian Manhunter Christmas murder mystery by Fred Van Lente and Nick Dragotta. It was a neat story all around, and it was good to see Jonn again. Angen and the Ape are up next, by Andrew Pepoy. And then we get a fantastic piece of story and art by Billy Tucci. It's a Sgt Rock story, and it was fantastic. Following in the same theme, Enemy Ace is up next. It's written by Seamus Kevin Fahey, and Sean Fahey. Brothers, I assume. But it was brilliantly drawn by Howard Chaykin. It's probably some of the best work I've seen from Howard in quite a while. Next up is B'Wana Beast, by Beau Smith and Gary Kwapisz. This was another story that, to me, was a little . . unique. I understood the hymn that narrates it. And I understood the events that happened through the pictures. But I'm not sure how it all fit together. We then get a quick look at Captain Marvel, by Steve Horton and Afua Richardson. And then a neat Deadman story by Scott Kolins. It would be neat to see Scott move on to this after he's done with Solomon Grundy. Next up is Red Tornado by David Tischman and Adam Archer. It was again a touching story. This time about the Christmas Spirit and the things a child can teach it's parents. There's a little Huntress Christmas miracle, by J Torres and Hubert Khan Michael. And a weird little tale about Ragman, by Rob Levin and Brian Ching. And we finally wrap up with a short story about Adam Strange, by Shannon Eric Denton and Nick J Napolitano. All in all, I liked all the stories. I thought there was an eclectic mixture of both characters and talent. The only thing I don't like about this type of book is that the stories don't really have any lasting effect on the characters involved. But . . that's just me. I think the point is to show us a different side of each character. And a moment somehow related to the Christmas season. I wouldn't necessarily call it 'uplifting' or 'emotional'. But . . it was nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment