Sunday, December 06, 2009

the Boys #37 - Dynamite Entertainment

This issue Hughie gets told the origin of Frenchie. Whether he wants to hear it or not. Personally . . I think it's all drivel. Butcher wants everyone to bond with Hughie because he thinks he may want to leave their little group. I'm not sure why his presence is so important, but . . Butcher doesn't want to see him go. So, after Mother's Milk it's Frenchie's turn. But, being the pompous arrogant ass that he is, I don't think the story he told him is the truth. I think he was just trying to fill up some space and come up with something half-way believable. Hell . . now even that. Les Saintes de Haw-haw? That's supposedly the yearly festival in the village where he lived. That's where people from his village settled their grievances from the previous year by performing jousting matches with baguettes. That's also were his father was killed, trying to uphold the family honor, when Hughie's childhood rival, Black Pierre beat his father and killed him with a croissant. Like I said, I don't think he was being completely upfront with Hughie. However, the final part of the story may have some truth to it. Hughie was in a bar and he got in a fight with a young American . . not from the David Bowie song. Anyways, Butcher saw the fight and decided . . 'Hmmm. What I need now . . is a mad cunt.' He took him back to America where he got shot-up with Compound V, and he's been with the group ever since. A L'outrance . . 'to the bitter end'. It was an interesting story . . although a bit of a stretch. But . . this is a comic book. Right? It's all a stretch. Anyways, it was an other unique issue by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson. Next issue we get the origin of the Female. I wonder who's going to tell that one, as I've never seen her speak. Ahh . . I'm sure the boys will work it out somehow. I like this book. It's interesting, irreverent, and chock full of ironic sarcastic humor. Plus it pushes the envelope with every issue. What more could you ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment