Sunday, December 06, 2009

Batman Confidential #38 - DC

With this issue we get a little more of the story on Janus Prohaska, the original Blackhawk . . World War II ace fighter pilot. But there's still something shady going on. At the end of last issue, Batman had figured out the Janus was still alive, and he went to his base of operations to talk to him. Janus isn't really surprised to see him. He knew that sooner or later he'd figure it out. Plus, because of Blackhawk International dealing with Wayne Enterprises, Janus knows that Batman is Bruce. Because of that, I don't think that he's necessarily trying to pull anything on Bruce, but . . I just have the feeling that he's not telling him everything. Anyways, Batman is still really after Ted Gaynor, the Killer Shark. He wants Junus to help him, but he's distraught over his geriatric condition, and age . . and he feels like he'll just slow Batman down. There was a theme here though that was brought up by Janus, and I'm surprised hasn't been addressed in other books . . especially the 'super-hero' books, and teams. Janus is talking to Cheung about missing his 'glory' days, when he tells him about his biggest mistake. 'It's the worst thing that ever could've happened to me, Lee. Every time I climbed in that cockpit, I knew there was a chance that I wasn't coming back. I accepted that. Maybe I'd get shot down, maybe the engines would malfunction, or maybe my parachute wouldn't open. I was so ready to die for what I believed in, I never stopped to consider there might be something after. Then the war ended and I buried myself in this damn foxhole. And what happened? A lunatic has amassed an armada of warplanes I designed, Zinda has been taken hostage, and I'm too old to do anything but fret over my mistakes.' Basically he's saying that he was so intent on his goal that he didn't think about making a plan for what happens afterwards. Without a plan on how to live his life . . what his goals or dreams were . . he just went back to what he knew . . work! That's sad, but . . I've seen it happen over and over again. Once or twice to myself. Anyways, Batman and Janus go and attack Ted's base, the Sky-Skull. They make their way in, but by this time Ted has reprogrammed Zindy . . remember, at one time she was Killer Shark's side-kick . . and they're met by a leaner, meaner gun-toting Zindy. 'You shouldn't fell so bad about failing to stop us, gentlemen. After all, the quickest way to end a war . . is to lose it.' I thought Royal McGraw did a great job with this story. I really liked the interaction between Janus and Batman. And I like that Zindy is taking a prominent role in the story. I think she's a great character that hasn't been explored nearly enough. Plus, when she's a bad-girl . . at the end of the story dressed in leather and guns . . she's smokin'! I also enjoyed Marco Marz' art. It looked fantastic. This was an interesting story. I've always been interested in the Blackhawks. I can't wait to see how this one plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment