Monday, December 28, 2009

Black Terror #6 - Dynamite Entertainment

Maybe it was because there was so much more action in this book, but . . this issue kept my interest much more that recent stories in this Project Superpowers line of comics. Or maybe it was because this story was filtered down to be about just a couple of the heroes from the urn, rather than dozens. Anyways, this issue Bob, the Black Terror, is trying to figure out what happened to his friend Archie, the American Crusader.He brings in Diana, Masquerade, to try to get to the bottom of things. Remember . . she uses her powers now to possess people. So, basically, she's taking a walking tour of his brain and trying to figure out if this is the real Archie or not. And if not . . then where he's at. Through this unique connection, we learn a lot of Archie's history. The most important part though was in those years after the rest of the heroes disappeared into the urn. The experiments and cloning that the government did to him was bordering on 'mad scientist'. But, since it's all done in the name of the country, it's considered patriotism. It also created a 'hive-mind' between Archie and his clones. At first he was also in control of them through that connection, but . . they quickly changed that. But there's still a remnant of him in there, and that's what Masquerade finds . . shortly before Bob kills him. This really annoys Diana. 'You complete bastard! Do you have any idea what it's like to be inside someones mind when they die? It's worse than the urn. The real Archie Masters is still alive somewhere, suffering in a way even we couldn't understand. Until you find him, this nightmare will keep on rolling. But do me a favor and keep me the hell out of it!' Meanwhile, while all of this is going on, the Supremacy decides to send Dynamic Man after Bob. They're tired of his disruptions and just want him gone. Maybe it's me, but Dynamic Man doesn't seem overly thrilled with the Supremacy either. In fact in the fight that ensues, he practically leads the Black Terror straight to the door of the bunker where they're holding Archie. Like I said, maybe it's just me . . maybe it's actually a result of the progression of their fight. But I kind of think that Dynamic Man has his own agenda, and while he's not necessarily trying to help Bob . . I think Bob's actions do serve to progress his goals. I guess we'll have to wait until next issue to find out. Anyways, I thought Phil Hester did a great job with this story. And Jonathan Lau's pencils get better and better with every issue. There was a few awkward moments with the way he framed a couple of things . . the flow seemed forced. But overall . . I think he's doing an incredible job. I think this issue provided us with more answers and clues than any other issue to date.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the roundup on this. I have hesitated on reading much of this universe, even though I am a sucker for Golden Age revamps. Maybe it's the hype or multiple covers, but something is leaving a bad taste regarding these heroes. I loved the original version of B.T. and even have a customized mego I made: http://www.flickr.com/photos/69415070@N00/2541829875/
    I want to see how this universe progresses before I jump in.

    ReplyDelete