Sunday, December 06, 2009

the Warlord #9 - DC

Another fantastic issue of Warlord . . written and drawn by Mike Grell. One comment I'd like to make . . Mike needs to put out a poster book. Or a hardback edition with full-page prints of all the covers. He draws a lot of good stuff in the interior of the book, but . . the covers are always exemplary. Over the years, he's done enough covers for this book that I would think he'd be able to fill a companion edition. What do you say? Show us all those gorgeous covers again. Anyways, this issue Travis and Shakira finally make it back to Shamballah. He doesn't remember his little adventure when he was shanghaied by the Atlantean gods. 'We followed Kate Archer and her brigands, trying to get up an ambush, but they turned the tables on us. After that, I don't remember anything until Shakira found me.' Anyways, Ewan McBane has decided to use his time here, and the extra batteries he has for his camcorder, to do a documentary type film on the Warlord, Travis Morgan. I think the process he's going through, and the people he's talking to, will help to serve the reader by explaining what's happened between the end of the last series, and this one. Also it'll probably help to explain to all the new readers just who all of these characters are . . and some of their history. The issue ends where we see Kate Archer trying to bring Deimos back to life. And hopefully we'll finally find out whatever happened to Travis' son, Joshua. I love this book. I always have. I'm a huge fan of Mike's, and was thrilled to death when I saw this book back on the schedule. There's only one thing I'd like to see this time around . . a little suggestion to Mike, if you will. Even if you can't keep up with the artistic schedule, at the very least never relinquish the scripting reigns. To me, that was the downfall of the last series. I don't mind seeing a fill-in penciller now and again. But the story and the character just isn't the same if Mike isn't doing the scripts. It's just a suggestion.

No comments:

Post a Comment