Monday, December 28, 2009

Captain America - Who Will Wield the Shield #1 - Marvel

Overall, I thought this was a pretty decent book. And, it's a necessary chapter in this unfolding saga. But, of course . . Marvel screwed it up. Captain America Reborn #6 hasn't even come out yet . . it'll probably be a few more weeks, and this story actually takes place after the events portrayed there. So, on the recap page . . we pretty much are told what's going to happen in Reborn #6. I mean, I guess it's not that big of a deal. You can still read this book . . just skip the recap page. We all know that Cap's coming back. If you weren't sure of that, just look at the 1/2 dozen or so books that he's already popped up in. But . . I'll get off of that. Whatever is done is done. The one thing we don't know is what happened in Cap's vision of the future. The thing I liked about this book was the similarities that are shown between Steve and James. Steve has Sharon, and James has Natasha. Both of these very strong women help to shape the decisions of their partners. James is ready to dry-clean the uniform, and deliver it and the shield straight to Steve. Natasha questions that. Meanwhile Steve, who also doesn't know that he's ready to jump back into the shoes of America's Champion, has a lot of things he hasn't sorted out yet. Sharon hasn't come right out and said it, but . . I don't think she'd have any problem with him letting James continue on in the role. She already feels guilty about her unwitting participation in the events . . I don't think she'd presume to tell Steve what to do next. Although I'm sure she'll be more than supportive. In the end, it's all moot for Steve because, whatever his vision was, it showed him that if James doesn't continue in the Captain America role he could die. 'I couldn't live with that. Even if it means I have to sacrifice a future I want.' So he tells the President, without the knowledge of Norman Osborn, that while he doesn't want to pick up the shield again, he is willing to do whatever his country asks of him. As with the rest of this sage, Ed Brubaker is at the creative helm. I thought he did a terrific job with this story. It's not his fault that it got printed when it did. Also, Butch Guice and Luke Ross do the art. It was equally as impressive. Like I said, overall it was a great book. It really helped to serve in moving the story forward. Personally, I can't wait to read Reborn #6 though. In the end, though . . I'm just glad that Steve's back.

No comments:

Post a Comment