Sunday, December 06, 2009

the Mighty #11 - DC

I think Peter J Tomasi and Keith Champagne have done a terrific job with this story. Apparently, though . . it wasn't widely accepted, as next issue is it's last. But . . I have to say, I really enjoyed it. This issue Gabriel sees just how much of a loon Alpha One really is. We got some of his back-story last issue, and now that Gabriel has been given full access to all of his secrets and experiments . . he's even more intent on bringing this guy down. We don't really know, yet, what Alpha One's intentions are. But we find out that he has a serum that will turn ordinary humans in to super-beings . . like himself. Maybe that's it. Maybe he just feels alone. Anyways, he's got hundreds of tubes down here with people in him that I assume were his test subjects. Included is Gabriel's wife. The only part I don't understand is that Gabriel starts fighting Alpha One, showing his true intentions, before he has a chance to administer the serum. Alpha One burns off one of Gabriel's hands, pulverizes 7 of his ribs, and then twists his neck like a candy-wrapper. But by this time it appears that the serum kicks in and he regenerates everything. I'm just not sure how that happened. He never had a chance to get the serum. He acted to quickly. Hopefully that part will be explained next issue. Anyways, Gabriel and Alpha One go at for the whole issue, and it ends after Gabriel uses his heat-vision to burn 2 scars across Alpha One's face. It appears that they're in a stalemate. I think it's going to come down to . . who wants it more. Who wants to kill the other more, and who has the drive to do it. Next issue should be a real piece of work. I'm not a huge fan of Chris Samnee's art, but . . I think that he provided a look and feel to this book that would've been completely different having been handled by another artist. I thought it was a very solid book, and . . I really hate to see it go. Who knows? I guess I'll just have to wait and see how next issue plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment