Sunday, December 06, 2009

Batman Unseen #5 - DC

This was an ok book. Overall, I thought the series was interesting. It probably could've been done in 2 or 3 issues though. In this case, even 5 issues was to long. To me . . it just didn't seem that original. We've all seen movies, or shows, or read a story about someone coming up with an invisibility formula. And in every instance the user of said formula ends up going mad. Whether it's the formula itself, or the loss of identity . . eventually these people go mad. Basically, that's what happened here. My only question is . . why did it take so long to develop the lenses for the cowl to help Batman see this guy? And why couldn't he just use thermal imaging? I mean, the guy would put off a heat signature . . right? I don't know. It just didn't seem as precise and analytical as a usual Batman story. And then this issue . . this issue Batman decides to take the formula himself. I'm really not sure why. He does mention that he feels that he's lost his intimidation factor . . since Nigel is invisible, and Batman can't see him . . what does he have to fear? So . . I'm not sure if Batman took the formula as an experiment, or because he thought he'd be more intimidating if he was invisible . . all you can see is the cowl. In the end, he ditches the cowl and ends up beating Nigel much in the same way he did him . . by striking at him from the unknown. However, by that time, Nigel's formula was wearing off. He was back to being a 'meat-man'. And the day Batman couldn't take this guy in a fair fight is the day he should just hang up the cowl. Like I said . . it was interesting, but . . it was also kind of disappointing. I've read much better stories from Doug Moench. There were just to many holes in this one. But Kelley Jones' work looks stunning, as usual. Chalk this one up as a failed experiment. I could see right through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment