Sunday, December 06, 2009

Dark Avengers Annual #1 - Marvel

I said it last issue, but . . I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying this book. I started picking it up, mostly because of Norman Osborn, and the terrific Mike Deodato Jr art. Now? Now I think all the characters in this are great. I don't necessarily like that they're posing as the Avengers . . or, one of the teams, but . . I do think that because the membership is so eclectic, it makes for some interesting dialogue and interaction. This issue . . this annual, is pretty much dedicated to bringing us up to speed on what happened to Noh-Varr since he left the group. Basically he'd become disenfranchised with what he was led to believe . . what Norman had told him. When he realized that everyone in this group was either criminal, or insane . . I think that was right after he slept with Moonstone, Ms Marvel . . he decided that it was time to leave. Ever since he's been trying to make contact with the Supreme Intelligence of the Kree Empire. His query is simple . .'Why am I here? What am I supposed to be doing here? What do you want me to do? I need to know. I need to hear from you.' The ironic thing is . . Noh-Varr is trying to figure out the human condition . . what we want, our goals, our aspirations. But those questions that he's asking the Supreme Intelligence? Those are questions that we as humans ask our own deities, or ourselves every day. However, we don't really expect an answer. We just hope that we can figure it all out. All of this is interrupted one day when Noh-Varr goes out to observe the humans. While talking to a girl from NYU the Sentry shows up. He wants to return Noh-Varr to Norman. But Noh-Varr won't have it. They have this huge fight and cause untold property damage. But in the end, with a little help from the girl, Noh-Varr escapes the Sentry's intent and finally has contact with the Supreme Intelligence. He/it has decided that Noh-Varr is to be the protector of the humans, and in that capacity he'll be issued nega-bands, much like Mar-Vells. 'But these bands are of a different design and different power source than the ones Mar-Vell wore with controversy and honor. These were created especially for you. They are far more advanced and far more precious. You will be empowered to act and you will have the power to act.' He's also given a new costume. And finally, at the end, we see that he's being observed. He's being watched by Captain America and Steve Trevor. They're trying to figure out just whose side Noh-Varr is on. I thought it was a great story by Brian Bendis. It's about time that they told us what happened to Noh-Varr, and I'm glad that they're trying to make his character a little more relevant. The last time he had a bit of the spotlight was that Marvel Boy mini-series by Grant Morrison. That was quite a while ago. But I thought Brian did a great job of showcasing him this issue. Especially with the incredible artwork of Chris Bachalo. All in all it was a great issue, and a fantastic Annual.

No comments:

Post a Comment