Sunday, December 13, 2009

Secret Six #16 - DC

First of all this cover . . by Daniel Luvisi, is incredible. He must be new to the scene, but I sure hope we get to see some more of his covers. He did an amazing job with this one. Anyways, this issue is all about Black Alice. Well . . it is the Secret Six book, but . . Alice wants to join the team. She borrows the magic of others, so when she first appears she looks like a female version of the Phantom Stranger. Then she taps into Blue Devil's power. Later she looks like Thunderbolt, and then she taps into Banshee's power. The reason she wants to join? 'I need money. My father's sick.' At least that's what she tells them. It could just be because she's bored and she thinks this will be a kick. The funny part is . . everyone is considering it, because she could really be a heavyweight for this team. So Scandal is the only one protesting. 'You can't be seriously considering this, you kick me off the team and bring her in?' She suggests the Deadshot do something to make her feel unwelcome, so . . they all go to a strip club. That was a bit of a stretch, but . . it was interesting. They all end up getting in a scuffle . . of course, and she's not deterred in the least. 'Finally. I found somewhere I fit in.' I think this was kind of a fill-in issue before this book crosses over with Blackest Night. Plus, before that story Suicide Squad #67 will be coming out. I believe that story leads directly into it. That should be an interesting story. I love Gail Simone's work here. I think she's doing a terrific job. It seems like she has a special affection towards these characters. She's got everyone of them down, and I love the way she handles them all. This issue Peter Nguyen does the art. I believe he's another newcomer to the scene. It's a pretty decent job. Some of the panels are incredible looking. I can't really compare his style to anyone else's. He's definitely got his own. He shows some real potential. Another fantastic issue. I can't believe we're up to issue #16 already. My, how time flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment