Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Batman and Robin #1 - DC

Ok. When I saw the solicitation for this book . . I really didn't know what to expect. I mean, I loved the All*Star Superman book that Grant and Frank did, but . . it was a little out there. But then . . so is everything Grant writes. It's almost like he challenges the reader to keep up with him. On a side-bar . . if you really want a book that will challenge you, and is full of original and spectacular ideas, try to get ahold of the Flex Mentallo mini-series that Grant and Frank did for vertigo around 1996. It'll really push your senses. Anyways . . back to the future . . I just wasn't sure if this would be a serious Batman book, or . . another alternate reality kind of adventure. I mean, look at that Batmobile on the cover. However, I'd like to put at ease any reservations anyone else out there may have, and say . . this book is legitimately entrenched in the current DC Universe and features Dick and Damian as the current Batman and Robin. And, after reading it, I thought that this series was fantastic. I really only have 2 concerns. And really, those are just me thinking out loud. First of all, we all love Dick. We all think he's a great guy, a little loose with the women, but overall has a pretty solid head on his shoulders. Unfortunately, for me, that may also be the problem. I kind of have a hard time seeing him as Batman . . acting the role. I just don't know that he has the same drive and determination that Bruce Wayne did. But, I'm more than willing to watch it for a while and see if they can prove me wrong. Secondly, Damian as Robin? I absolutely love it. He's so arrogant, and cocky, smart and full of ideas, sarcastic, ungrateful, and constantly pushes authority. He's the Robin that we all miss. And again, therein lies the problem. Grant can play this kid so fast and loose that I could easily see him becoming the more dominant character. Kind of like on Will & Grace. They were the main characters, but it wasn't long before Jack and Karen held your attention as equally if not more. They were the supporting characters so the writers could do anything with them. And it worked . . overwhelmingly. That's kind of the same thing I'm afraid of here. Don't get me wrong. I love these 2 characters and I think they have great potential, but . . I think Batman/Dick should be the star of the book. I'm just a little worried about Robin/Damian upstaging him. But, that being said . . I really did love this book. Starting with the covers, I actually like the JG Jones alternate cover better, but . . there's something to be said about those simple kind of covers that Frank does. They just quietly jump out and grab ya'. The issue opens with a car chase. Well . . kind of. Dick and Damian are actually following this car full of 'bad-guys', but they're in the new Batmobile, so . . they're flying. "I told you it would work. All I had to do was adapt my father's blueprints." To which Dick calmly replies, "I'm sorry I ever doubted you, Damian. Batmobile: lock to target. Disable." Damian then quickly scolds him, "Never use real names in the field. Your words." But Dick won't let him get the upper hand, "You're paying attention. Good. You know, I'd have killed for a flying Batmobile when I was Robin." The banter between these two is like this all issue. Later on Dick's ready to go out on patrol but Damian gives him a hard time. After scolding him, they get in the Batmobile and take off. As they're driving away, Damian says, "Hmmm. Crime is doomed." It appears that there's is a relationship that is going to need some work. Another difference in this series is that it seems that our dynamic duo is working out of Wayne Towers, instead of the mansion. Which, I think, definitely opens up a lot of potential. Anyways, they're chasing this new criminal Mr. Toad who works for someone named Pyg. Batman and Robin capture Toad and while he's talking Dick picks up on the of the European circus slang that he's using. Overall, I have to say, I really enjoyed the issue. We're given a whole lot of information this issue, but it plays out well with the flow of the story. Also, as I expected, Frank's pencils are fabulous. Every page, every panel, looked fantastic. I have to give a 'hat's-off' to Alex Sinclair for his incredible colors. The entire issue is very visually stimulating. Personally, I think we're off to a great start here. I can't wait to see where we go from here, and what other kind of cool ideas and props that Grant has in store for us. Batman and Robin are cool again!

No comments:

Post a Comment