Wednesday, June 10, 2009

the Flash Rebirth #3 - DC

First of all, I love that Ethan Van Sciver is still on this series. I know, unfortunately, he won't be here forever, but . . I'm loving it while he is. Also he's got some fantastic covers here. Next . . Geoff Johns is brilliant. I think he's doing an incredible job with this story. We start out this issue and it looks like Barry has fully become the Black Flash. So much so in fact that the JLA and the JSA have gotten together, first to contain him, and then to try to separate him from the Speed-force. But Barry can feel the force now . . and it's hungry. It wants to consume the energy in anyone around him who has the same connection . . Jay, Wally, Bart, Jesse. He refuses to let that happen. Hal brings Iris in to try to ground him during the process, but it seems like the emotions she stirring up are enabling the transformation rather than calming him down. Things get so out of hand that Hal, Superman and Wonder Woman have to fly him away before he inadvertantly hurts anyone. However, with everyone then out of danger, Barry asks Hal to release him. He's made a decision, he's going to rejoin the Speed-force rather than continue to put the lives of those around him in harms way. Things don't seem to be working out as expected though. As Barry speeds up he seems to be running backwards in time. His main concern as he bolts backwards is that he doesn't want to forget Iris. He then seems to reach a focal point and Johnny Quick and Max Mercury are there. They both appear to die from his energy, but before they do they try to warn him. Johnny tells him, "The formula, speed and time, you're the answer." And as Barry warns Max not to touch him, "I'll kill you. I'll . . .", Max tries to tell him "N-n-not . . it's not you. Professor . . .", but he doesn't get to finish. Someone then calls out for him. It seems to be coming from inside the force. "Come on in. Do you understand yet, Barry? Do you not see what I've done? I've shifted you into reverse." It's Professor Zoom . .the Reverse-Flash. I knew he'd be popping up sooner or later, but I never expected him to be the instigator of all of Barry's problems. It looks like Barry's jumped from the frying pan into the fire . . literally. All I can say after reading this issue is . . Wow! I know that we've had to wait on this series because of a few other story-lines that were connected, but . . Wow! This is easily one of the best comics I've read in the last few months. My only complaint is that I have to wait 30 days for the next one. Arrgghhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment