Wednesday, June 24, 2009

X-Men Forever #2 - Marvel

I think this is kind of a neat, and ambitious idea of Chris Claremont's. Apparently, he's picking up the story, with this series, exactly where he left off, after the Mutant Genesis story-line in 1991. That's 18 years of his vision for the X-Men that it appears that he's going to rewrite. Like I said . . pretty ambitious. Plus, on top of that huge task, he's also going to be putting out this book twice a month. With the September posts, it's already listed up to issue #8. Boy, when this guy takes on a challenge he certainly jumps in with both feet. So, apparently, we have another alternate universe here for the X-Men. Will it ever cross-over with the current Marvel Universe? Who's to say. But with Chris at the helm, I wouldn't put anything past him. Last issue ended with a psychic blast from Jean that knocked out all of the X-Men in the surrounding area. It came from her link to Logan. Who is currently lying in Central Park, disintegrated down to his adamantium skeleton. The X-Men are concerned about what's going on, but they have 2 of their own down also . . Jean and Rogue. Jean was obviously taken down during the attack, but Rogue went down while her and Remy were out by the lake. And they're under attack, in their own mansion, by Sabretooth. He claims he's there to kill Ororo. I think I kind of like the idea of Nick Fury being involved in all of this. I much prefer him to Val Cooper. Plus it affords the X-Men the government contacts that they wouldn't normally have. All in all, I think we're off on an exciting new/old chapter in the X-Men's lives here. It'll be interesting to see how this varies from their current continuity. Like I said . . a very ambitious project. Tom Grummett is the artist . . so far. I'm sure he's not going to be able to maintain a twice a month schedule, but right now they're probably a couple of issue ahead. Hopefully it'll be a few more issues before we get a fill-in. I really like Tom's work, and the way he presents these characters. Actually, I just looked at the previews and they have Paul Smith, with Terry Austin, listed as coming on board with issue #5. And then Steve Scott (?) is listed as the artist for issues #7 & #8. Well, despite that bit of bad news, all in all this is a very exciting book for me and I can't wait to see where the adventure takes us. Now the title seems more like a rally-cry . . "X-Men . . Forever!"

No comments:

Post a Comment