Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Ultimatum #4 - Marvel


Ok, I'm glad I read this issue after Ultimate Spider-man #133 because it explained a little bit about what was left to the reader's interpretation. We still don't know for sure that Spider-man is dead, but . . it's the obvious assumption. If you aren't reading this series . . even if you don't follow the Ultimate Universe . . you really need to. This is a heck of a story. I don't want to give the whole thing away but there are some really great scenes in here. There's a battle between Dormammu and Doctor Strange. To say it's a bit one-sided would be an understatement. We get a glimpse of the man whom I assume is the new Sorcerer Supreme, but . . we don't actually know who it is. Also Jean has calmed down the Hulk and he'll be joining the X-men with their assault on Magneto's citadel. We finally catch up to Nick Fury, who's been exiled to the Supreme Universe. Reed, Doom, Zarda and Arcanna have come to retrieve him. They need his help. But he refuses to leave until Doom tells them his secret. "I . . I made an error in judgement. I had Magneto's daughter . . the Scarlet Witch . . murdered. I knew Magneto would then declare war on mankind and when it was over . . I would be there to pick up the pieces. I . . never imagined that Magneto either had the power or the will . . to destroy the human race . . what good is a king if there is no kingdom?" And then the X-Men make their assault. They get some good licks in, but . . Magneto is never going to be caught completely unaware. The issue ends with the set-up for the final battle next issue. It's going to be a doozy. Jeph Loeb and David Finch are doing an incredible job with this series. David's interpretation of these characters is stunning. The scene where Sabretooth . . well . . you're just going to have to read it. The Ultimate Universe started out looking like the Marvel Universe with some subtle differences. However, when this story is all said and done . . and the dust settles . . I have a feeling that any resemblance to the Marvel Universe is going to be subtle, or faint at best. Some characters will have the same name, but . . these guys are on their own path now. It's all up in the air. I can't wait to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment