Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Justice League of America #34 - DC


I've never really been a big Starbreaker fan. He's a villain that has plagued the League for years and years, and honestly . . I just wish he's go away. But . . that's not really what this story-arc has been all about. Yes Starbreaker has contributed to the events that have occurred here, but . . the real story here is about the Shadow-cabinet and the Milestone Universe. They're now part of the DC Universe, but . . it wasn't an easy fit. At the end of the issue Dharma explains it to Icon and Superman. "Our troubles began a universe away. The death of a god ripped the fabric of space-time. This was an event I long foresaw, but did not comprehend until almost too late. This event released forces that destroyed the universe where I, and many others, resided. You too, Icon. But the avert also presented an opportunity. Not long before the end, I had tapped into a source of unfathomable power called the Rift. I used . . am using . .the Rift's great power to merge the two universes. I altered history and memories of the inhabitants of both, but only enough to smooth out any inconsistencies. Now, I hold it all together, with Rift's creative energy, and the force of my will. I can save untold trillions of lives, if you but allow it. Otherwise, the two realities will naturally drift apart. Leaving one universe healthy, and the other to dissolution." During this speech, Superman remembers that him and Icon worked together to save both their universes. But now . . now he feels like he's known him for years. Of course with the lives of trillions in their hands their choice is obvious . . "I don't really remember any other history besides the current one. And I like this world." Dharma tells them, "Then I will do my job. And you do yours. Keep our secret. Keep the world safe . . and I will try to keep it all together." So . . like I said . . that's what this whole story-arc came down to . . the integration of their universe into ours . . er, I mean, the DC Universe. It was interesting, and I thought Dwayne McDuffie did a good job of explaining it all. So now . . maybe we'll see one of these guys in the League . . as Static has joined the Teen Titans . . and maybe well get some more stories about the Shadow Cabinet. They seem like a pretty interesting group of characters. Adrian Syaf w/Eddy Barrows does the art. I thought it looked pretty good. A little inconsistent in spots, but . . overall, pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment