Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Justice Society of America #28 - DC


I know this story-arc is just some filler until Bill Willingham and Jesus Merino take over the creative reigns, but . . I really didn't like this story very much. All in all, I thought it was kind of boring. Jerry Ordway writes and draws it, and he brings the Spectre back into the JSA fold with this story. Which is cool, but . . I still wasn't all that thrilled with it. Basically these lost souls from the bombing of Hiroshima had decided to make someone pay for their anguish. It's not really clear why, but they choose Jay, Alan, Ted, Rick and Jesse. I know they were involved in the war, but no one would think that they held any responsibility for the bombing. Anyways, long story short . . they transport them back to August 6th, 1945. Of course they stop them, but they have to convince the rest of the spirits that the guy leading the charge is using them all by trying to manipulate these events to become corporeal again. Once they do that, the spirits let down their guard enough that the Spectre can return everybody from whence they came. And we find out that the spirit had left a little of his essence in Courtney, just in case his other plan failed. So what? Who cares? The only thing I liked about the whole story was at the end when Albert convinces Courtney that he doesn't want to pursue a relationship with her. "I do love you Courtney . . but like a sister. It has to be this way. You're a kid." I'm sure that made her feel like a pile of dung. Afterwards we find out that it was Alan, Jay and Ted that convinced Albert to dump her. " He does it, but he doesn't feel very good about it. He'll get over it, just like Captain Marvel did when you warned him off of Stargirl." I'm not sure what this is all about but . . . it certainly leaves a lot of questions to be answered. Overall, I'd have to say I was pretty disappointed in this book. Which is really hard for me to say because I've been in their corner this whole series. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when Bill and Jesus come on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment