Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Red Robin #1 - DC


This series starts the next evolution in the life of Tim Drake, er . . sorry, Tim Wayne. He's emphatically taken that name now. There's a scene between Tim and Dick, where he's mad that Dick has chosen Damian to be his Robin. Dick tries to assure him that Damian needs training, and that he thinks of Tim more as an equal. But Tim isn't hearing it. "How can you let him wear that costume, Dick? What Earth are we on that you choose him over me?" To me, it was really reminiscent of the scene that Dick and Bruce had when he decided that he needed to be his own man. I'm surprised that Dick isn't overwhelmed by the similarities. We also find out why Tim has chosen this costume, " . . because I knew I'd be crossing lines . . so nothing would come back to Bruce or Dick. I chose this costume because it was already tarnished . . and I wasn't coming here to play."Right now he's being driven by one overwhelming feeling . . "He's alive. Bruce is alive . ." He refuses not to believe that. So his new quest has begun in Europe. He says he's following the clues and hints. But along the way he's picked up some followers. It appears that Ra's al Ghul and his League of Assassins is equally interesting in Tim's quest. We just don't know yet if he's here to help or hinder it. I thought this was a great first issue in Tim's new direction. I don't know if it's because of all of the lose in his life, but . . I have to say I have an easier time of believing the lose and frustration from Tim than I do from Dick. That was my main concern about Dick assuming the mantle, as it were. Tim seems to have the grim, dark character down a whole lot better than Dick does. But, I'll see if that changes after I read Batman next. Christopher Yost writes this book, and I think he's off to a fantastic start. I also really enjoyed Ramon Bachs pencils. He has a gritty kind of style that suits the mood of this book perfectly. There's also another cover, by JG Jones, besides this Francis Manapul cover. Personally, I think I like Francis' cover better. But that's just me. I'll include it in this post when I get it. Overall, I thought it was a great start to this series. I can't wait to see where we go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment