Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wolverine #74 - Marvel


To be perfectly honest with you, I didn't really dig issues #73 and #74. Of course it is hard to follow up a fantastic Mark Millar story. Especially one like Old Man Logan, but . . these 2 stories seemed more like something out of the old Marvel Comics Presents series. It felt like a fill-in. The first story was about Logan running into an old pal, Horrorshow, who is the leader of a bike gang. Apparently there's some bad blood between his gang and another . . no surprise there. But his son is part of the other gang, so . . what's a father to do. However, things keep happening . . murders, deaths, whatever . . and all fingers point towards his son. Horrorshows second in command, Ram, is getting restless and is stirring unrest about Horrorshows reluctance to declare war. The ending is what confused me the most. Logan finds out that his son, and Ram were doing dealings behind Horrorshow's back. But, of course, Ram was getting greedier and greedier until finally his son had to cut him off. Which is why Ram is trying to eliminate him by making it look like he's the one trying to start a war. Logan has him but let's him go. He tells him to go far far away. That part I get. But then he tells Horrorshow that his son's dead. Of course Horrorshow is upset and blames Logan, but . . I think deep down he knows it's not really his fault. However, he doesn't tell him about Ram. Instead, he just quietly kills him and then rides away into the sunset. I just thought it was a peculiar ending. Anyways, in the second story, Spider-man has come to confront Logan about everything he's trying to take on in the world. He's worried about him . . like he's trying to push himself to hard. After a heated discussion, and a distraction by someone trying to rob their bar, Logan admits . . "You were right, about everything. I am afraid to be alone with my own thought. I'm afraid of my own memories. All the lives I've ruined, the lives I've taken. All the horrible things I've done. All the things I wish had stayed forgotten. I know nothing I do can change the past. And no matter how many different super teams I join, it can never make up for all those old sins. But I gotta try. Even if it kills me, I gotta try." However, before they can have a more 'touching' moment, Logan is called away on X-Men business. I liked the feel of the second story more than the first. But ultimately . . it was still just a fill-in. Our creators this issue were Jason Aaron, Daniel Way, Adam Kubert and Tommy Lee Edwards. I guess overall the issue was ok. It's just awful hard to follow up such a great story. By the way, the final chapter of Old Man Logan . . the Giant-sized issue . . it isn't scheduled to come out until the end of September. So . . we'll probably see it in October. That's really not here or there. I just wanted to let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment