Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Astonishing X-Men #30 - Marvel

I can't believe I got 17 Marvel comics this week. That's quite a lot for me. But, since they had, I believe, 34 or 35 titles out . . I guess my list would be rather extensive. I just wasn't expecting this many. I have to say . . I'm a little worried about the future of this comic. I don't know anything, but . . in the previews there's nothing listed past this issue. And they have books listed up till October now. However, in the description this is listed as the conclusion to the first saga by Warren Ellis and Simone Bianchi. So . . that would lead us to believe that there's a second saga . . right? I don't know . . like I said, I'm just worried when there's nothing listed for 4 months out. Anyways, as the description says, this issue does indeed wrap up the 'ghost-box' saga. And it appears that Forge has gone quite literally mad. These 'mutants' that he's created were to fight the influx of these teams from this other dimension. That's where the 'ghost-boxes' come in. They were their source of travel. Apparently their world, as Forge surmises, is so barren and desolate that they've been forced to search out other places for their home. Having detected this, and having no mutants to draw upon as a team, he created his own. Now, with the arrival of the X-Men at Wundagore mountain, his base of operations, he's prepared to open the 'ghost-box' and take the fight to their would be invaders. But that's not a fight the X-Men are prepared to fight . . and they're not even sure that the story that Forge is weaving is correct. But he does open the box, and Agent Brand, from her SWORD ship 200 miles up, has a "two-zettawatt quantum laser pointed at your location". When the box opens, Hank tells her to aim at the last location of the phone, and he throws it into the box. How much power is two-zettawatts? "Around ten thousand times the total power received by the Earth from the sun. It would be like landing a piece of star in the room. Even ten miles out, the polariton storm at the edge of the beam's field of effect would have torn buildings and people into foam." Even Logan has to admit, "You know I don't like the woman, but I gotta say, her problem-solvin' skills amuse the crap outta me." The only thing we don't know is if Forge, or any of his mutants survived. And, for all we know, this may have just pissed off the people in the 'other' universe even more. This may not be the last we've heard of them. I thought this was a great book and a fantastic story-line. But, really . . I expected nothing less from Warren. And, as many beautiful covers as we've seen from Simone . . the art in this book, and throughout this arc, is just phenomenal. That may be why there's no book listed also . . they probably both need a rest after this run. I'm holding out hope for a quick return because this book is fantastic. I can't wait to see more. If you aren't reading it, you definitely need to look up the back issues, or the TPB's. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment