Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Masquerade #4 - Dynamite Entertainment

Every once and a while I come across a comic that stalls me. Well . . that is to say that it stalls my blogging, because I'm not sure how I want to approach the review. This just happened to be that comic, this month. I don't really know why . . it just left me feeling . . well, nothing really. I read the book, I understood the story, but . . I didn't really care. I just felt like I was reading it to read it, and there was no 'buy-in' from me as the consumer. It's not that I've lost interest in the Project Superpowers from Dynamite. I still think it's a neat concept, and I applaud Alex Ross and Jim Krueger for basically creating a unique and separate comic-book universe here. This character just doesn't really do anything for me. This issue basically just recaps her story from when she started back in the 40's. She started out assuming the role of hero, without really having any distinguishing abilities to back it up. She was a 'wanna-be'. But, she was still part of the family of 'super-heroes' that existed at the time. She had some connections. Which, in the end, is why the Yank pulled her into the Urn with the rest of his comrades. So, now that she's returned, she's gone through the usual disorientation that has affected the rest or her friends, and she's finding out that the Urn has changed her. I'm not really sure of the purpose of putting this into the plot. It's been recurring through the initial series, and some of these minis . . the concept that the Urn has changed almost everybody that was within it, and now they're individually finding different or strange abilities. These heroes have been basically brought to us from scratch. Their origins and abilities have been defined as the 'project' has unfolded. So . . why is it necessary to put this twist in the plot when Alex or Jim could've basically done anything they wanted with these characters right from the very beginning. I've done a little research and I've seen that most of the characters have come from an old comic line, Nedor Comics, which operated from 1949 to 1956. And, with that in mind, I understand Alex and Jim's need to update the characters. But, seeing as how the books, and the characters are, I'm sure, hardly remembered . . I don't see why such an elaborate explanation has to be provided. Just say that they've changed and start them on their new path. We see in this issue that Masquerade has a 'possession' power. Whether she had that before, or not . . I don't know. I don't really care. Also I wasn't even really sure what had happened until I read the credits in Project Superpowers: Chapter 2, where they list the characters and their abilities. The book was . . ok. Phil Hestor does the story, and Carlos Paul does the art. It's . . adequate. But like I said, it just left me feeling . . nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment