Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Madame Xanadu #12 - Vertigo


This book is kind of an indulgence for me. It's not the type of book I would normally be drawn to, but . . I find myself enjoying the stories here. I thought it was really good during the first 10 issues, but now . . now Matt Wagner is joined by Michael Wm. Kaluta. His artistic talent and style are perfect for this book. The star of our book, Madame Xanadu has recently found herself at the dawn of the age of heroes. Although she doesn't know that yet. And she's coming up against some forces that she doesn't recognize. We know the man as Al Nar, but . . we don't know yet what his true nature or intentions are. As this story is unfolding, the good Madame is also remembering her time in Spain in the 1490's. She had taken a partner in Marisol Del Rios. Which is really the only reason she had decided to stay as the country was in the vicious grip of the Catholic Religion. "The church has so villified both the natural and the feminine, folks see a devil behind every anomaly. The land is beautiful but, were it not for Marisol . . I could not long stomach this country and it's despotic religion." I'm not sure what that story has to do with the one Nimue finds herself in currently, but . . I'm sure they're connected somehow. Speaking of Nimue . . I noticed on the new series Merlin, Nimue is introduced this episode. Just thought I'd bring it up. Anyways, as I said, I really enjoy this series, both with the story and art. I find myself looking forward to it every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment