Wednesday, June 17, 2009

X-Men Legacy #225 - Marvel


Again, another issue of the X-Men that definitely didn't turn out the way that I expected. Basically, Charles puts Exodus and his Acolytes on notice . . "Amelia, I wanted to warn you. I'm coming to New Avalon. I'm on my way right now. I'm coming to tear it down." And just like that, Charles comes waltzing through the front door. He walks right through all of their defenses. Basically, he planted little suggestions in everyone. He uses Unuscione's hands to adjust the defense grid as he comes through. She has her psi-shield on 'stand-by'. Charles planted the memory of her turning it on. The scanners go off-line, and they figure out that Tempo used her authorization code to shut them off. Random, Unuscione and Tempo go to find him, but . . when they do he turns them against each other. "The psi-shields keep me out . . now. I left those post-hypnotic suggestions last night when I visited your dreams." When he comes across Amelia, he just tells her how he feels and she lets him pass. "I did that to you one, and then forgot it. Now that I've remembered, I'd see the green Earth burn before I hurt you again." Which just leaves Exodus and Sentinel. "Sentinel, are your weapons systems trained on Charles Xavier? Locked, and primed?" To which she replies, "No. They're trained on you. Whatever humanity I still have, it's down to this man. I can't harm him. Or stand by and see him harmed." Which leaves Charles in the solo audience of Exodus. That's when he tells him that all he wants to do is talk. Basically he makes the argument to him that it's time for the paradigm of 'mutant vs mutant' relations to change. With the number of mutants dwindling, there's not enough left to be fighting amongst themselves. They need to band together and work to their strengths. "When human armies come against you, how will you make an alliance with former enemies? Because they will come, impelled by their fear and our weakness. Mutantkind must act together, or else they'll die piecemeal. Those really are the only options." As Exodus goes off to ponder what has been presented to him, Charles goes an wakes up Joanna Cargill, out of her Exodus induced coma. Even though he knows that she wants to kill him . . "A debate is about to start . . concerning the future of the Acolytes. You should be a part of it. Or try to touch me again, and sleep for another year." The decision is . . Exodus is going on a pilgrimage. Amelia, Random, Karima and Tempo are going to San Francisco. Amelia tells Charles, "Cargill and Unuscione are angry. They don't understand what's changed. you've defeated the Acolytes, almost without a fight. I suppose I'm impressed. The part of me that hates you for it is relatively small." And with that Exodus . . actually, he's decided not to call himself that anymore . . he take New Avalon down to the ground. He and Charles have a bit more of a discussion when Norman Osborn shows up in a HAMMER helicopter. "Professor Xavier, I wonder if I could have a moment of your time?" I'm not sure what this is all about, but . . it should be interesting. I thought it was great to see Charles in such a strong and determined character. I know that's how he really is . . how he has to be, but . . he doesn't always come across that way. As a teacher, he has to let his students make their own decisions . . and mistakes. But I much prefer this role on him. It fits him like an expensive Italian suit. But the question is . . what does the future hold? . . for all of these characters. And that's what I feel that Mike Carey has done here. He's opened the future completely. Their paths and destinies are wide open now. As I said, this was a fantastic issue and it's going to be a pivotal one in the futures of these characters. By the way, Phil Briones does the art. It looks pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment