Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Wolverine Revolver #1 - Marvel

I didn't really need or even want this book, but . . I thought the art looked interesting so I gave it a shot. The artwork kind of reminded me of one of those old stories I used to read in Epic magazine. It's kind of got that European type flavor to it. I haven't seen that in quite a while, so that's why I was intrigued. The art is by Das Pastoras, and he also seems to have a Richard Corben influence to his stuff. I really liked it, and he was consistent throughout the book. I like to give props for talent, when it's due. Now, the story? The story was by Victor Gischler. It was ok, but a bit simple. Basically, Logan has been following this demon-type character ever since he killed an Indian medicine-man. He finds out that he can't really kill him because his body seems to melt back together. So, he decides to do some whittling instead. He cuts the body up into little pieces, and then begins depositing them in various locations around the country. And . . that's the story. It was interesting . . and a bit entertaining, but . . it was a very quick read. And more than a bit anti-climatic. When I got done, I felt as if I had read an 8 page back-up story. Really . . it was that quick and simple. And then the $3.99 price tag? Well that's just enough to piss a guy off. Wolverine #73 & #74 have been set up to present 2 stories. The first half of each in #73, and the second half in #74. I don't know why this story couldn't have been done that same way. Or even put 3 stories in each of those 2 issues. Even if they charged $3.99 for each, it would've seemed worth it. But this way? This way left me feeling cheated and robbed. Even if Logan is one of my favorite characters. But let me clarify . . my distress is not aimed at the creative talent. They performed admirably. My frustration is with the packaging. And that's why I'm skipping a lot of the Marvel one-shots and minis.

No comments:

Post a Comment