Wednesday, June 17, 2009

the Mighty Avengers #26 - Marvel


Ok, I know I ragged on Hank Pym a little bit in previous blogs. But I'm really starting to dig this book. I mean . . I've always liked it, but . . I think it's gotten much better. I'm not sure if that's due to Dan Slott's scripts, but . . it's definitely a good place to start. Last issue we saw that Hank needed his dimensional wave inducer in order to save his lab that he's got hidden away in a pocket dimension. The problem is . . it's in Reed Richards possession. And he ain't giving it up because . . well, he just doesn't trust Hank. I think he thinks he gets a little wild-eyed sometimes. So, since the tactical approach didn't work, Hank decided to assault the Baxter Building and take, what he considers to be rightfully his. This issue we see the results of that attack. I think it's cool that he's got Hercules and the vision keeping Ben and Johnny. But what I really thought was brilliant was when he has Amadeus use the Ant-man helmet to send in 400 ants with masking technology. Reed thinks the building is being assaulted. "According to my new sensors, our air vents have been compromised. Over four hundred Skrulls and counting! Sue, get the children . . ." But before Hank can proceed much farther Reed leads him into his Zeno room. Suffice it to say that he's made it nearly impossible for Hank to reach him. That is until Hank thinks his way out of it and realizes that sound is the only thing moving at the right speed. With the wave inducer almost in his grasp he takes Reed on a little side trip. They travel through various dimensions until Hank take Reed to one of his secret ones. "I wanted you to see this. This is why I need this invention, Reed. To get here. This is the dimension where I hope to tether my lab." Then Reed sees Hank's secret . . "What's so special about . . . Oh. I had no idea. Now I see . . . take the device. It's yours." And like that . . their conflict is over. Unfortunately . . we don't get to see what Reed saw. So we don't know exactly what the big deal is . . yet. Now that he has the wave inducer he just needs to add one more piece . . Jocosta " . . and then salvation two will fix everything." Whatever that means. When everything is put together, Hank tells them their new base is ready and it's indestructible. "You're just going to have to see it for yourself. Everything's been building to this. And it's just beyond that next door. You've followed me this far. C'mon. It's time for phase two." How come when he's giving that speech . . I picture Willy Wonka in my head, getting ready to lead all the kids down his chocolate river? Weird! Anyways, like I said . . I thought it was a great issue. Dan's done an incredible job here. The only thing we didn't get to see was any of US Agent, and Pietro's mission. Maybe next issue. By the way, Stephen Segovia and Noah Salonga does the art. It's actually pretty cool looking. It definitely added to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment