Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Avengers / Invaders #12 - Marvel / Dynamite Entertainment


Well, this is it . . the final issue of this cross-over series. Well . . it's kind of a cross-over. It crosses over Dynamite Entertainment with the Marvel Universe, although . . I'm not quite sure why. I mean . . it crosses over the 2 teams of the New Avengers and the Invaders . . both of which are Marvel teams, and Marvel heroes. So why this is published under the Dynamite label . . I'm a little perplexed. But . . it's been a good series, and it's come out pretty regularly, so . . I'm not complaining about the semantics. Although, it probably comes down to the creators . . Alex Ross and Jim Krueger. They're both working on the Project Superpowers series now, so . . maybe they're exclusive to Dynamite. I don't know. My only complaint about this series is that it pretty much ends the way we expect it to. All the heroes that traveled to the past end up defeating the Red Skull and putting history back on track. In the end, they find themselves back in the future, our present, and celebrating with everyone else at the rally, and memorial, for Captain America. Although, I would imagine, they are especially solemn considering that they just got done having an adventure with the man himself. There is a twist though. At one point in the past Bucky has his hands on the Cosmic Cube. He helps to set things right, but he knows he can't do anything to change the past. However, he does help out an old colleague of his in the future . . Thomas Raymond, Toro. He brings him back to life. And the Vision is drawn to him. In the past, as the battle is winding down, he tells the heroes, "I am here to help the Cosmic Cube choose a new form . . choose sentience. It has chosen which sentience it wishes to emulate. I go now to meet that form." Apparently, that's Toro. Also Bucky had a chance to change his past, because he warned himself about the rocket. However in the end . . he chooses to do the heroic thing. "How do I know this rocket won't kill someone if it was left to continue? How can I be less that the hero I am? Even if no one knows. Some stories have to be told. Sometimes it's the writing of them rather than the reading of them that marks us. Even if only to remind ourselves of what we are. And who we will become." The fighting, and the past, ended up being rather predictable. But the story itself . . in the end, was actually rather moving. I thought Alex and Jim did a fantastic job, and I really enjoyed Steve Sadowski's pencils. This is yet another book the I really picked up for the heck of it, but . . I'm glad I did. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment