Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Dark Avengers #5 - Marvel


Most of this issue concentrates on Norman Osborn. As you can see by the cover. To bad that image didn't happen during his interview on national television. That would've been some awesome tabloid TV. Anyways, most of the issue is spent with Norman disputing Clint's accusations. Mixed in with that is the confrontation between Iron Patriot and the Sentry when the team recently returned from Latveria. They thought he had been killed in that battle, but . . upon returning to New York . . there he is . . big as day, floating outside of the Avengers tower, bright as the sun. He seems just as confused about the whole thing as the rest of the team. And although Norman is pushing him for answers, he really doesn't have any to offer him. We also see some of the teams interactions. First of all it appears that Norman has them all on some type of medication. And, with all these disparate personalities, it's really only a matter of time before this thing implodes upon itself. Bullseye seems to be butting heads with everyone . . especially Gargan and Hercules. Then, when Moonstone sleeps with Noh-Varr she makes the comment, "Oh my gosh, I almost forgot! Norman on TV. This I have to see! I'm dying to see how Norman sells the fact that he put together a team of psychotic criminals and murderers and calls them the Avengers." "He put together what? . . . . You said he put together what? . . . Wait. You're all criminals? I thought . . .", Noh-Varr is really caught off guard. I don't know what he thought, but his eyes have just been opened. As well as a few other orifices. And finally, during his interview, there appears to be an all-out alien assault taking place in the streets of LA. But it doesn't look like any aliens I've ever seen before. Norman has to cut his interview short and rally the team. "Victoria. Well, wake up. Get 'em up and ready. Avengers . . you know. Get them together." I thought the interview part of the story was a bit long-winded, but other than that, I enjoyed this issue. I liked seeing the way all the idiots act around one another. Especially when Norman's not around. They're like a group of adolescent kids. I think Brian Bendis is doing a good job with this one. But . . the real star of the show is Mike Deodato Jr. His artwork is fantastic. The whole issue looked great. But then . . I expected nothing less. I'm not sure how long this series will last, but . . it definitely has potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment