Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Utopia #1 - Marvel

I was a little disappointed in this book. Not because of the story. I thought the story was great. But because . . I had no idea what this was or was all about. I picked it up, mainly, because it was an X-Men story with Marc Silvestri doing the art. I figured it was another mini-series . . the X-Men have only had about 20 in the last year . . and since Marc was doing the story, with Matt Fraction writing . . and it included the Dark Avengers . . I thought, what the heck. So I'm reading the story . . I'm thinking this is pretty good, I like how they're focusing on the state of affairs at Graymalkin Industries, in San Francisco. Plus, we got Trask stirring up the anti-mutant movement again. Then I get to the last page and find out . . this crosses-over with both books. It'll be in Uncanny X-Men #513, Dark Avengers #7, Uncanny X-Men #514, Dark Avengers #8, and then wrapping up in Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men: Exodus. That's all well and good, but . . if I hadn't have picked this book up on a whim . . I wouldn't have known what was going on when I picked up #513. I would've been lost, and then I would've had to go back and try to find this book. It just doesn't seem like it was put out there very well. Anyways, besides all of that . . things have been going a little to smooth for the X-Men lately, so I guess it's time to shake up their world a bit. Of course this all goes back to Bastion and his bringing back to life . . kind of . . all of these people that hate the X-Men. Or course, now they'll hate or love whatever Bastion tells them to, as they seem to be an extension of his conscious. Anyways, Trask has this following now . . literally . . and they're marching with him to San Francisco in support of the Mutant Procreation Act. Have you ever heard of anything so absurd? Of course, when they get to San Francisco, now the heart of 'mutant-land', it only takes one or two hot-heads, on either side of the fence, to get things stirred up. And that's exactly what Trask wants. He wants Californians to be afraid of a gather of mutants this large literally in their own back-yards. And, once it gets on the news, it's only a matter of time before Norman Osborn thinks of using this to further embellish his 'saving graces' into the public conscious. I'm surprised he didn't wet himself on his flight out to California. Once there, Norman wants Scott Summers to put out in front of the public as the face of 'mutant-kind'. And don't forget, Emma is part of that secret cabal that's been working with Norman for a while now. So who knows how she's manipulated all of this to her advantage. At the end of the story, we find out that Henry and Charles have been captured. Wherever they're keeping them they seem to have some kind of inhibiting system that's sapping their powers. So . . overall, I think this is going to be a really interesting story. It's always interesting when the X-Men's lives are thrown into turmoil. Which seems to be a pretty constant state of affairs. But we have a great cast of characters here, and a fantastic creative team. So I'm looking forward to seeing how this all plays out. Despite the faux-pas with the advertising.

No comments:

Post a Comment