Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Power Girl #2 - DC


Personally, I like this book. I think it's fun. I mean, you could look at it as if it's another Supergirl book, but . . really it's not. Part of that credit, I think, goes to Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray's writing, but I think most of the feel of this books belongs rightly in the hands of Amanda Conner. She really does a fantastic job of giving this book it's 'feel' through her art. The scene where Kara is pummeling the Ultra-Humanite is hilarious. Do you remember how the early issues of the Justice League, when Kevin Maguire was doing art . . how they felt more light-hearted than the previous series? Sure part of it was Keith Giffen's hilarious stories, but . . there was also a light-hearted nature to the art. It was in the facial expressions, the flow of the panels, the cheeky sound-affects like from the Batman TV show . . it all combined to give the book it's feel. Anyways, that's the long way of me telling you that's how I feel about Amanda's work also. Kara spends this whole issue fighting the Ultra-Humanite and ultimately she ends up captured by him. He wants to be human again, but in order to do so he needs a body that can withstand the rigors that he puts it through. So, in his twisted mind, the next logical assumption is . . Kara. "I'd imagine there's countless men who want your body. I'm going to be the one who gets it!" And of course, after he has her captured, and before he begins the process, he gives Kara the obligatory origin story . ."Before we get started . . I'm going to tell you something I haven't told anyone . . . " It feels like we should've broken into a musical or something . . like something out of Rocky Horror Picture Show. You know what I mean? But, the important part of that story is to give us the Humanite's real name, Gerard Shugel. And to introduce us to his partner in crime, Satanna. The issue ends with Kara completely immobilized and the Humanite starting to cut into her skull. Like I said, I really liked it. It was fun. There's also a fantastic Adam Hughes cover. When I get it, I'll put it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment