Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Exiles #3 - Marvel

Ok, I have to say . . so far this series isn't doing very much to impress me. Which really has me upset because I've liked the last 2 so much. In this series, our cast of characters really are exiles. The Time-broker, now portrayed as Morph, plucked these people out of their time-lines just as they were about to be killed. Whether it would've happened or not doesn't matter because on their worlds, they're believed to be dead. Making them real Exiles. I think that's a neat idea. From there? . . from there it all goes downhill for me. Their first mission is into a world where all the mutants are united, living in Genosha, and constantly under attack from the rest of the non-mutant world. Their mission is to help Wolverine overthrow their leader, Magneto . . obviously . . who is going to lead the entire world to it's destruction. However, as soon as they arrive they find Logan's headless body being paraded all of Genosha like a ripe trophy. Anyways, long story short . . they end up having to convince Jean and Emma to look into Blink's mind because she has the knowledge that they're all being denied . . courtesy of the Tallus. After doing so, they remove Magneto's psi-scan blocking helmet to verify her story. It appears that while not killing Charles himself, he did basically enable it by not saving him when he could have. So then all the mutants turn on him. And the Tallus tells Blink that it's time for them to go . . they're supposed to abort their mission. Which Blink doesn't understand because it also tells her that this world is still on it's collision course. Boom . . halfway through the issue and that story is done . . they've landed on another world. It was a very unresolved and anti-climatic story. Kind of frustrating, actually. The last 5 pages of the issue are spent showing us the desert that they've landed in . . the city in the middle of it . . and a glimpse of it's leaders, apparently the Vision, Ultron and Machine-man. The next story-line is titled, 'Machineworld'. Jeff Parker is writing this new series. So far . . I don't like the job that he's doing with it. Which is also upsetting because I liked all of his work on X-Men: First Class. I thought he did a great job there, with a lot of these same characters. Here though, the stories just don't seem very well thought out. I know. It's only issue #3 and maybe there's a bigger plan here. So far . . I'm not to impressed. I hope it turns around soon. Casey Jones does the art. It's ok, but it's not really my style. I've been with this series ever since the Ultraverse. I can't believe I don't like it now. Please, please . . give me something to work with here.

No comments:

Post a Comment