Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Vigilante #7 - DC


I like this book . . I like this character . . I like this concept, but . . if Marv Wolfman doesn't pick up the pace here, I can't see it sticking around a whole lot longer. Don't get me wrong, no matter what happens, I think the Vigilante will be seen throughout the DC Universe for some time. Even though Adrian Chase, the original, committed suicide, this guy appears to be much more clear about his mission. And he's got ground rules, so he's not just going out there shooting up anyone who comes across his path. And although his mission is defined, I think the scope of it may be more than one man can bear, "I'm no meta hunter. I have no desire to be one or to fight alongside them. I came to New York to tear apart the mobs from the head down. My SOB father-in-law included." So it's going to be a good amount of time before he can accomplish that . . or even put a dent in it. And here it is issue #7 and I still don't even remember this guys name. I remember JJ because he worked with Adrian also. Anyways, currently he's trying to take down Tobias Whale, but he doesn't seem to be accomplishing very much. However, he is doing enough to make Tobias uncomfortable. And, he does give the Penguin reservations so he pulls himself out of his dealings with Tobias. Tobias' guys have the Vigilante's identity narrowed down to 15 people. And they all work for him. So rather than sort it out, he orders the 15 men to be gathered up and taken out and slaughtered. Later on we find out that the 'info' that Vigilante got about the Whale, the stuff that doesn't seem to be accomplishing much but still makes Tobias twitchy, was actually provided by the Penguin himself. Although the Vigilante doesn't know that. It seems that the Penguin wants Tobias to go down as well so that he can take over for him. All in all, I like the series. I just wish the pace would pick up a little bit. Rick Leonardi does the art.
His style fits the book very well. And, Walt Simonson does that cool cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment