Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ghost Rider #35 - Marvel


I actually had to force myself to finish reading this one. I started it once, but got pretty bored. I really enjoy Arthur Suydam's art, but . . this cover looks like it was thrown together pretty hastily. That's the first thing I didn't like. Secondly, I'm sorry, but I'm not all that impressed with Tony Moore's interior art. I can see a couple of different influences here, but . . there's really no consistency. There were panels I liked and panels I really didn't. And it was all mixed up so it was hard to point out where it all goes south for me. And this Skin Bender character was just a little to whacked out for me. She looked like someones 90 year old anorexic grandmother who had been subjected to multiple plastic surgery's to make her look like a teen-ager . . or a rag-doll. I'm not sure which. And then we get some bad news. It appears that Ghost Rider will be going on hiatus for a couple of months. It'll be returning in August under a new name - Ghost Rider: Heaven's Fire. Jason Aaron will still be writing it, with Roland Boschi doing the art. It'll pick up exactly where this story leaves off. So I'm not really sure why, but . . it's probably some editorial decision. Anyways, despite what I didn't like about this issue, it was a means to an end. At the end of the story, Johnny turns back into the Ghost Rider, finally, and wipes up the town . . the Skin Bender and all of her demons that were mixed in. But then there's 3 pages near the end where Sister Sara shows up and she convinces Johnny that their fight with Zadkiel is far from over. She tries to get through to him and finally has to remind him where his family is . . "Heaven. They're in heaven . . . . . . let's go." Which is where we'll pick up with the new series. By the end, I understood the reason and the purpose for this story, but . . that really didn't help me to enjoy it much more. I am glad though that Johnny's Ghost Rider is back, and that we'll be back on track with this Zadkiel story-line. So, I guess, I'm optimistically looking forward to the series relaunch. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment