Wednesday, May 06, 2009

New Mutants #1 - Marvel


This one had some great covers to it. I've included a few here. The only one I didn't buy was the Bob McLeod one. That one was $25. However, I did buy the $10 Benjamin cover. What can I say. I used to love this group, so . . that's my justification. But 3 copies of a book, even with different covers, is enough for me. I've got to draw the line someplace. Right? The good thing about this first issue though . . considering it now costs $3.99 to enjoy a few of some of my favorite characters, is that it comes with 34 pages of story and art. To me, that's not a bad trade-off for the cover price. This issue, and it appears the series, will be under the creative direction of Zeb Wells and Diogenes Neves. I wasn't sure about Diogenes' art at first, but by the end of the issue . . I was sold. I think his style is definitely going to be a good addition to this title. We start out with the team that we expected, Sam, Roberto, Amara, and Illyana. Xi'an and Dani are also part of the team, but . . they're the ones that are in trouble so basically they were the catalyst for Sam bringing the group back together. Xi'an and Dani went off to Colorado a couple of weeks ago to investigate a little girl that was supposedly endangering a small town. They haven't been heard from since. Then, in the beginning of this issue, Illyana 'ports back in to warn everybody. Basically she says that a year from now Amara scolds her for not being there when Xi'an and Dani needed her. "So . . now I'm here." She says that right now, they still have time to save them. She also has other various bits of knowledge and insight from the future, but . . we'll get into that later. The team ends up in Westcliffe and immediately split in 2. The boys find Dani in the backroom of a bar. She looks beaten and catatonic. And for some reason the locals are very anti-mutant right now. However, the girls also find Dani in the basement of a little girls house who has disappeared. She appears to be locked in a metal box and is asking them for her release. However, when they open it . . they find Legion inside. You know, Xavier and Moira's son. As they open the box and tell her she's free, he says . . "No I'm not, Amara. I wasn't talking about the box . . I'm trapped in here." Apparently, somehow she's trapped in Legion's body. That's an interesting twist of events. I like the way they jumped right into the story this issue. They don't give us a whole lot of build up, or past history, or anything. And this issue appears to take place immediately following the x-infernus mini-series. Illyana disappeared at the end of that one . . after they all fought to bring her back, but now . . now she's back and wants to help. Also Manuel, Empath, is also going to be playing a part in this story, or series, but we don't really know what that's going to be yet. All in all, I really enjoyed this first issue. It'll be interesting to see if any other of the New Mutants show up for this assemblage. There's other characters that I'd really like to see, but . . I guess we'll just have to wait. These characters have been spread out over the various X-books, but . . they've never been quite as effective, or at home, as when they're together. It'll be good to see them together again, in action as a group. "Welcome home, New Mutants family! Welcome home!"

No comments:

Post a Comment