Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Exiles #2 - Marvel


I hate to say it, but . . I wasn't as thrilled about this issue as I have been previous ones. I don't know. The team just didn't seem very organized, and they weren't really working together very well. I know they're a new team, and really they just got put together. But, even coming from various worlds, they've all been on teams before. The only one that's really a 'solo' character is Forge. Their first mission is to go to this world where all the mutants live on Genosha, and Magneto is their king. They're constantly under attack from the outside world, but Magneto and his royal family are always doing whatever they can to protect them. So . . they are loved. However, our Exiles are supposed to help Wolverine overthrow Magneto's rule. The problem is, as soon as they arrive, they find themselves watching a parade. On the float with the royal family is Wolverine's body, stretched out like the maidens on the front of the Viking ships. His head is detached and on a pike. Obviously their assigned mission is going to be a little tough. So, they decide to do a little reconnaissance. Polaris and the Scarlet Witch are part of the royal family, so . . they figure if they can take their place, they can mingle with the natives, as it were, and try to gather some information. They don't have someone to replace Jean with, so . . I'm not really sure how they think they're going to be able to pull this off. Sure they may look like them, but . . everyone has their own distinctive personality and quirks. These people are always combat ready, so . . I'm sure they are constantly on vigil, even for attacks from shape-shifters. So they're going to notice when someone isn't acting normal. They have to be prepared in order to survive. It isn't long before they're all captured by Scott, Bobby, Jean and Warren. "It's an interrogation. We take a dim view of people from other dimensions coming to sabotage our world." I'm really not trying to rag on the story. Jeff Parker wrote it, and I've loved his work on X-Men: First Class. But he does write that one a little more sophomoric than the regular X-titles. In that case it's fine. Actually, if I was used to it here, it would probably be fine also. But . . I wasn't expecting it. This book usually falls outside of any X-Men continuity or story-lines, but . . it still has that serious X-edge to it. Well . . except for Morph. But again . . you expect that. Maybe it's just because Jeff is following Chris Claremont. I don't know. Overall, it just didn't feel right to me. Which is really hard for me to say, because this is one of my favorite books. Salva Espin is doing the art on this series. Again, it's ok, but . . it's all just a little to teen-agery for me. I'm really hoping this isn't the direction of the new series.

No comments:

Post a Comment