Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wolverine #72 - Marvel


I'm not crazy after all. I was a little concerned when I read and posted Wolverine issue #73 2 weeks ago week. I knew the Old Man Logan story was almost at it's end, but . . I couldn't recall how it had ended. I was actually concerned that I had read through it so fast that I didn't remember how it ended. I knew they had made it to New Babylon, but . . I couldn't recall anything after that. I thought I was having a senior moment. Well, as it turns out they were actually published out of order, for some reason. I guess they just wanted to drive some of us readers crazy. They were almost successful. In this issue, we actually find out what had happened 50 years earlier on the day that the heroes died. Well, not the entirety of the battle, but we see when the Red Skull takes down the final combatant . . Captain America. The Red Skull is remembering how he came to be the most powerful man in the world. But then, the fates come upon him. After their recent skirmish over the Super-Soldier formula, the Skull's liaison, Tobias, shows up with the corpses of Hawkeye and his accomplice. Long story short, Logan recovers from his wounds and ends up taking off the Skulls head with Cap's shield. A bit of irony there. Then, after donning the Iron Man armor, he absconds with the money that Tobias had arrived with and heads back to California at full speed. All he's worried about is saving his family. When he gets there he finds old man Donovan at his farm, and he doesn't look to happy. Logan tells him he's got the money to get his family out of trouble with the Hulk gang, and he's 2 weeks early. But Donovan doesn't have any good news for him. "The Hulk gang already been here for their money. They said they got bored." Donovan then begs him not to do anything stupid because he's just going to make life harder for the rest of the families. The issue ends when Logan tells him, " The name isn't Logan, bub . . 'SNIKT!' . . . it's Wolverine." Surprise . . surprise . . this isn't the end of the story. Apparently there's going to be a Wolverine: Old Man Logan Giant Sized Special. That one should be interesting and full of a whole lot of bloodshed. I'm not sure when it's coming out, though. I've looked through the solicitations, but they don't have it listed for July or August. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. This has been a fantastic story-arc by Mark Millar and Steve McNiven. But if you've been reading it . . you already know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment